You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at

Travelling to Europe after Brexit – health insurance advice

Staff who may be travelling to Europe during consolidation week and beyond are advised to ensure they have adequate travel insurance.

Brexit is due to take place on 31 October 2019 during consolidation week when many University field trips with students are organised, including some to Europe. Travel Insurance is provided by the University for all staff and students travelling overseas on University Business.

An European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) lets you get state healthcare in other European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes for free.

However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, your EHIC might not be valid anymore. If you are planning a personal trip, please note that the UK Government has advised travellers to buy travel insurance that comes with healthcare cover. 

The rules for passports, driving, pet travel and more may also change. Check if you need to act now so you can travel as planned.

Brexit briefing for staff

Some spaces are still available for an updated briefing for staff affected by Brexit this Wednesday (9 October). The University has arranged for immigration lawyer Mark Benton from Mills & Reeve, a law firm specialising in the higher education sector, to run a session on recent developments.

All University staff are welcome to attend and ask questions. Book your space.

EU Settlement Scheme

EU/EEA staff are reminded that they, and any family members, need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme before 31 December 2020. If they have not already applied they should take the time to review how to apply and consider when would be the best time before the deadline.

Further advice for staff can be found on the University’s Brexit webpages.

UoP News © 2020 All Rights Reserved