You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs

Achievement takes centre stage at graduation ceremonies

More than 6,000 students from over 120 countries will receive their degrees and professional qualifications during the University of Portsmouth’s 2019 graduation ceremonies this week (11-19 July).

“Graduation is a highlight of the academic year, not just for our graduands but for the whole University community,” said Professor Graham Galbraith, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Portsmouth. “It is a time for us all to celebrate and share the experiences and achievements of our students with family, friends and fellow graduates.”

University Chancellor Karen Blackett OBE said: “This is an immensely proud day for all of the students and their friends and families. I am honoured to be sharing it with them as their Chancellor. I am an alumni of the University and I still remember how emotional this day is, and the smiling faces of my own mother and late father, as my name was called out to collect my certificate. Their very visible sense of joy and pride was infectious.

“Your time at university shapes who you go on to become and what you achieve. I am certain that the experience of our graduation students at the University of Portsmouth will have helped them unlock their true potential, and fuel their self-belief, as it did with me.”

The University will also present nine honorary awards to leading figures from the fields of exploration, business, football, education, maritime science and charity. They are:

• Record-breaking yachtsman Sir Robin Knox Johnston;
  • Portsmouth Football Club CEO Mark Catlin;
  • Falklands veteran Simon Weston;
  • Cave diver Jason Mallinson, who last year helped rescue a junior football team and their coach who were trapped in a Thai cave;
  • Leading businesswoman Heather Melville OBE, who was named on the 2018 Power List as one the UK’s most influential black people;
  • Air-Vice Marshal (AVM) Matar Ali Matar Al-Obaidani, Commander of the Royal Air Force of Oman;
  • Professor Lynne Segal who researchers and writes on gender matters and feminist theory;
  • Sarah Kenny, Chief Executive for BMT – a leading international scientific and engineering technical services and consulting business;
  • Disability champion Kevin Holmes from the University of Portsmouth.

The 20 graduation ceremonies will be held in Portsmouth Guildhall from Thursday, 11 July to Friday, 19 July.

All the ceremonies will be broadcast live on the University’s Graduation YouTube Channel.

1 comment on this postSubmit yours
  1. I am proud to have gone through the University of Portsmouth for my MSc. This opened a world of possibilities for me by striving to be independent minded and am now a PhD candidate in the field of clinical exercise physiology and an entepreneur in the same field, both in the USA and in my home country, Uganda. I highly recommend the University of Portsmouth

Submit your comment

Please enter your name

Your name is required

Please enter a valid email address

An email address is required

Please enter your message