You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs

University staff member wins bike makeover competition

A University colleague has won a makeover for her bike for Clean Air Day 2019.

To mark Clean Air Day, Portsmouth City Council asked local people to share their old bikes’ stories of woe, in a bid to win a full service and replacement parts to get them back on the road.

The winner was Claire Coulter, who manages the University’s Cluster for Sustainable Cities. Claire said “It’s been on many an adventure…until I was clipped by a car.” The resulting damage meant the bike was left “propped up in the garden, quietly rusting away.”

However the team at Portsmouth Community Cycle Hub have now fixed up her bike – including fitting a new gear hub, straightening the wheels and giving it a good clean. Now Claire’s taking advantage of the good weather and cycling into the office most days.

Claire said: “It’s been great to have a working bike again! It’s not just making my journey to work quicker. My son loves doing the nursery run on the bike, and I’m hoping we’ll now be able to get out and about more over the summer.”

If you missed out, and your bike is in need of some TLC, there’s a free Bike Doctor clinic run by the council every Wednesday from 10am – 4pm in Commercial Road. Alternatively the Cycle Hub on Winston Churchill Avenue offers local bike services, repairs, and training.

Find out more about cycling to work on our Travel to Work pages, or My Journey Portsmouth.