You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs

Portsmouth achieves highest ever position to be ranked 21st out of all UK universities

The University of Portsmouth is ranked 21st in the 2020 Guardian University Guide published today (7 June) – its highest ever position in any university league table.

This is the fifth successive year that Portsmouth has gone up in the rankings, having risen from 25th last year. The University was ranked 85th in 2012.

The University of Portsmouth has outperformed all other institutions across the South East in a number of areas. The University has the highest graduate outcomes (the number of students entering graduate-level of employment) and our students are the highest satisfied with their course and assessment (based on our National Student Survey score).

Portsmouth was in the Top 10 subject areas for the UK in eight subject areas: Biosciences (3rd behind Oxford and Cambridge); Design and Crafts (3rd); American Studies (5th); Criminology (5th); Nursing (5th); Anatomy (7th); Mathematics (9th); and Sports Science (9th).

University of Portsmouth Vice-Chancellor Professor Graham Galbraith said: “This is incredible news for the University. We continue to outperform some of the most established universities in the UK.

“I am delighted that our outstanding and distinctive student experience, with a focus on career enhancing activities, teaching excellence and innovative learning technology, has once again seen us as the leading institution in the South-East for the factors that are most important to young people.

“This is greatly rewarding because students are at the heart of everything that we do.”

The Guardian’s University Guide ranks universities on a range of factors that students care about: how much they will benefit from the teaching, whether current students like the university and the subject, and what their chances are of getting a good job.

Other aspects that contribute to The Guardian’s University Guide rankings include: spending per student, student/staff ratio, graduate career prospects and a value-added score that compares students’ entry qualifications with their final degree results.

Today’s news reflects the University’s continued success in a range of leading independent national and international guides and ranking tables for excellence.

The University was ranked 53rd in the 2020 Complete University Guide, published last month, and Portsmouth rose six places, to be ranked 53rd, in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.

Portsmouth was rated Gold in the UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and is ranked in the top 20 UK universities for overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey (NSS). The Economist also rates the University of Portsmouth as number one in the UK for boosting graduate salaries, with 97.5 per cent of graduates working or in further study six months after they graduated.

6 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. I knew the first day I set my feet in UP that i am not at a wrong place at all. Great achievement indeed. I have no doubt in willing to continue with my PhD here…

Congrats!!!!

2. Best place in the South East coast of England, with a wonderful history and culture. Very easy to get on with people , proud to be doing my PhD at Ports Uni with wonderful lecturers and PhD supervisors. They make me feel part of the team. Congratulations !!!

3. I received 10 offers of admission from the “then” top universities including Southampton, Bristol, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Portsmouth. I am so glad I chose Portsmouth. In the exact words of Nandjaveru’s comment, “I have no doubt in willing to continue with my PhD here”….. And yes, I have received the PhD offer of admission. Arriving from Nigeria, I struggled at first; but the great team of mechanical engineering staff and library staff helped me to settle. Least I forget, the entirety of Portsmouth community (city and people) is uniquely lovely and welcoming. I will graduate this July 2019 and I assuredly say that I am overall, highly satisfied that I did my MSc here.

4. As a UOP Ph.D. student, this is a thrilling news !!

5. I am working toward my PhD in the technology department. I really am satisfied with the performance of the University and this is setting up the expectations for next year.

Way to go! Congratulations for the achievement.

6. More than 3 years ago I made a decision to advance my career in the growing specialized field of Forensic Accounting/Auditing. After an extensive search on the internet for the best University to purse my part time MSc Forensic Accounting, I eventually chose the University of Portsmouth as it outclassed other Universities on a number of fronts such as reputation, flexibility, convenience, curriculum, and affordability. Today, sitting and working here in Zimbabwe, am glad I made the right choice, as I recently completed my 3 year MSc Forensic Accounting (DL) and look forward to graduating next month.

And the career opportunity doors are already starting to open up!

Thank you Team Portsmouth!