Become a school governor and make a difference

Portsmouth City Council is looking for committed volunteers to take up the rewarding challenge of becoming a Governor for a local school.

Being a school governor provides excellent professional development, makes a difference to young people and gives something back to the community by bringing together a wide range of professional knowledge to the governing board.

There is no need to have an understanding of the education system or to be a parent. You’ll be able to:

• Use your own experience of education and life beyond school to inform conversations
  • Develop and utilise your skills in a board-level environment
  • Support and challenge the school so that it improves for pupils and staff
  • Bring your unique experiences, perspectives and insights to help make decisions in the interests of the school community

As a governor, you’d set the aims and objectives for the school and set the policies and targets for achieving them. You would monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making and act as a source of challenge and support to the headteacher.

Kelly Dubock, Market Research and Analysis Manager at the University has been a school governor at a small Southsea primary school for over six years. After wanting to do something worthwhile in the city, she chose to volunteer at a school as she believes in the investment of the development of children and young people to give them choices and help improve communities.

Kelly said: “I know my involvement, and those of other volunteers like me makes a huge difference. I love helping the school achieve their aims, from academic aims to attendance, emotional wellbeing and health.

“I now have a much better understanding of the challenges our schools face and have undergone a lot of training from how to recruit, to safeguarding and everything in between. Being part of vibrant discussions with many different people from different walks of life has also had an impact on how I deal effectively with people within my day job too. It’s helped me understand a little more of what makes Portsmouth tick.”

Find out more about being a student governor on Portsmouth City Council’s website or contact schoolgovernor@portsmouthcc.gov.uk.