You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs

FHSS students selected for extreme start-up programme

Three students from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences have been selected to attend the European Innovation Academy (EIA) in Portugal this summer.

The 15 day extreme start-up programme brings together 300 participants from over 40 universities. The programme provides an opportunity to develop a business or social enterprise idea, working in a team with students from across the globe and culminating in a pitch to investors.

This will be the third group of students from the Faculty to attend the programme. Previous participants have developed social enterprise businesses tackling issues such as food wastage and drink driving.

In 2017 Henry Huish, an English Literature student, took part in EIA and said of the experience: “It introduced me to the business world and completely revolutionised my perception of idea generation and start-ups. I finally felt confident and ready to pursue a business career, either as an employee or a leader.”

Samuel Bladen-Hovell, International Development Studies, also attended in 2017 and added: “The best part for me was the diversity of people from so many different parts of the world, each bringing something unique to the group and the programme.”

One of the students selected for this year’s EIA program is Charlie Ball. He is currently completing a study abroad placement at the University of Oslo in Norway and commented: “I am very pleased to be selected to take part in the EIA, I feel like it’s a great opportunity to create an original idea and engage in a unique programme that I am sure will help me in a multitude of ways both through my degree and my career prospects.”

Ian Brown, Employer Engagement Officer in the Faculty explained: “The EIA provides a unique opportunity for students to be submersed in a three week entrepreneurship programme. Each year interest has grown and this year we received a record number of applications.”

“Students gain first hand knowledge of the start-up process, as well as strategies for business and marketing. Participants come from a wide range of countries and degree backgrounds, this provides an opportunity to develop entrepreneurial skills as well as skills such as team working, confidence and cultural awareness.”

“It is a great opportunity for the selected students but also helps the Faculty to showcase the support that nest provide here on campus for student enterprise and start-up activity.”