You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at

Important information for EEA/EU students

UoP-logoWe would like to remind students that it is a requirement that EEA/EU students and their family members have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CIS), and the UK government has said that it will only accept one of the following as evidence of this:

• European Health Insurance Card (if the stay is not intended to be permanent), issued by an EEA member state other than the UK
• Comprehensive private medical insurance
• Form S1
• Form S2
• Form S3

The Home Office has recently reassured those who do not currently hold CSI by confirming the following:

‘EU citizens will not be removed from the UK or refused entry solely because they do not have comprehensive sickness insurance.

The requirement for EEA nationals exercising freedom of movement rights as a self-sufficient person or student to have this insurance is set out in the Free Movement Directive and applies to all Member States not just the UK.

The right of EU citizens to remain will be unchanged while we are a member of the European Union and they do not need any additional documents to prove their status.’

However, we would like to reiterate to all EEA/EU students that it is a requirement to have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance whilst studying in the UK.

For more information on CIS, click here.

1 comment on this postSubmit yours
  1. I’m never heard of any of these things. I’m registered with the NHS…

UoP News © 2019 All Rights Reserved