You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs

Success for photography student

Veronika Latanovskaya’s photograph ‘Martyna’

A University of Portsmouth photography student inspired by her grandfather to pick up a camera has come second in an international competition.

Veronika Latanovskaya was among three winners in 2015/16 International Student Photography Awards for her image in the beauty, fashion and lifestyle category.

Judges praised her work, saying: “Veronika’s submission was very powerful; we loved the styling and concept. As with the winning entry, we felt she embodied the theme and is most deserving of her award.”

Veronica’s prize is an Olympus camera.

Her work uses high contrast to help focus the viewer’s eye on texture and detail. She uses both analogue and digital cameras.

She said: “My photographic journey started at an early age with the help of my grandfather, who gave me a German analogue camera. My interest began to grow stronger as I travelled the streets of my hometown Tallinn, in Estonia, experimenting with framing and the conceptual aspects of photography.

“I try to show the beauty of abnormal image in the world. I believe that everything that stands out of normality, everything that disturbs, makes you wonder, gaze, terrifies – creates a more interesting and unique world around us.

“I am interested in questions of mortality, but not seeing it as something full of sorrow and desperation, but as harmony of peace, silence and the feeling of inevitability, something that we always have to bear in mind, but not be afraid of.”

The competition was run by Exhibtr.com, which aims to provide a showcase to photographers, artists and designers.