You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs

Meat-free day – Wednesday 11 March

Meat-free2015Catering Services are organising a meat-free day across campus on Wednesday 11 March.

All catering outlets and halls of residence will be serving alternative options for the day. The event has been organised in direct response to requests from students and staff.

If every student and member of staff at the University changed their meat intake to zero for one day a week, we’d save:

• 692, 172 square metres of land
  • 38, 451, 348 litres of water
  • 190, 944 kilograms of carbon dioxide

…every single week.

So on Wednesday 11 March, Food on Campus will make this happen. So join in!

All outlets will be offering a vegetarian menu, and to give you an example of the options that might be available, please see Cafe Coco’s menu for the day.

19 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. I support the meat free day a week

2. QUOTE – If every student and member of staff at the University changed their meat intake to zero for one day a week, we’d save:

692, 172 square metres of land
    38, 451, 348 litres of water
    190, 944 kilograms of carbon dioxide

AN ENTIRELY BASELESS CLAIM

• How can you say that when you don’t even know where these statistics came from.
      I whole heartedly support the meat free day. An excellent idea.

• I don’t think the figures were just plucked out of thin air!
      I eat meat, but I think it’s a great idea to try something different and explore more vegetarian options.

• As an academic, I would be highly interested to learn the source of the statistics…

3. I definitely support this. I also wish you had more vegan options for students who occasionally forget to pack a lunch!

4. more vegan options would be amazing. eating at uni is always a bit awkward otherwise.

5. Negativity is pointless. Unless you try, how do you know what will change and if a difference can be made, personally and/or globally? I for one will give this a try – let’s embrace change and support these initiatives. Who knows what can be achieved!

6. What a wonderful idea! I will be supporting meat free day and look forward to the vege choices available at The Hub. Hopefully there will be more days like this in the future.

7. I think this is an excellent opportunity for us all to try something new that perhaps we wouldn’t otherwise.

8. I TOTALLY SUPPORT. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT EVERY SINGLE WEEK IN REES HALL. VEGETARIANS OPTIONS ARE VERY LIMITED AND CATERING STAFF IN THERE DO NOT GIVE MUCH ATTENTION, IT IS MOSTLY COMPOSED FROM LEFTOVERS.

9. Totally agree Lin – Negativity won’t get anyone anywhere. I also agree that more vegan options would be nice 🙂

10. Whilst I agree that more options for vegetarians are good I don’t agree to having a meat free menu. Not eating meat is by choice and for those that want to it should be available. You wouldn’t have a veg free day and say to a vegetarian ‘sorry – you can’t eat veg today as it’s a meat only day’.

• I really don’t know what all the fuss is about. Yes I am a vegetarian and wound not support a meat free menu for more that one day as I think its important that people have choice but come on, this was an initiative for one day only to try to encourage people to try something new and promote a healthier diet for the day and also to do some good in the world. What could possibly be wrong with that!
      Also lets not forget we have no smoking days and dry Januarys, I don’t see anyone complaining about those.

• It’s about personal choice and not having a decision forced on you. Not everyone smokes or drink so if they choose to give up for a day/month or not is up to them but everyone has to eat – you need to do that to live and it should be your choice what you decide to eat.

• It was only for one day to encourage people to try some alternatives! It’s not like they are going to do it every week. I’m not a vegetarian, but I certainly don’t eat meat every single day.

11. Following an illness my sister found that she could not eat meat as it made her sick. To say that vegetarianism is only an option is not true, some people cannot eat meat. I fully support this meat free day, after all we all need to include vegetables in our diet – we are omnivores after all. If people aren’t interested in the food available there are plenty of other eateries around campus.

12. Thanks for organising meat free day Catering Services. What a positive initiative. I mainly use St Andrew’s Court and am always impressed with their efforts towards sustainability.

13. I was delighted to see the meat-free day initiative. I felt that it acknowledged the dietary choices of a minority, for one day only, and I felt respected by that. I don’t eat meat any day, but for one day I felt my choices were in the priority position, and that felt very inclusive. Well done, Nick and Catering Team !