You can now find the University's latest news, events and blogs at port.ac.uk/news-events-and-blogs

Dyslexia Awareness Week 2014 (3–9 November)

occupational-health-tree-300x180Next week is Dyslexia Awareness Week 2014.

Dyslexia is a Greek word meaning ‘difficulty with words’.

Did you know that approximately 10% of the British population are dyslexic?

Dyslexia occurs independently of intelligence and is a Specific Learning Difficulty in relation to information processing.  People with dyslexia may have difficulty processing and remembering information that they see and hear. This can affect learning and the acquisition of literacy skills.

Dyslexic people often have strong visual, creative and problem solving skills and are prominent among entrepreneurs, inventors, architects, engineers, and in the arts and entertainment world.

How it feels to be dyslexic:

• ‘I see things from a different perspective’.
  • ‘When I am reading, occasionally a passage will get jumbled up, but when it happens I have to read and re-read the passage over again’.
  • ‘I know what I want to say, but I can never find the right words’.
  • ‘It’s like my computer crashing with too much information’.
  • ‘In formal situations, although I know what I want to say, I struggle, lose focus, and then my mind goes blank and I panic’.

Concerned about Dyslexia?

If you are concerned that you may be dyslexic, and this is impacting your work, impeding your career development, or you are struggling with planning or having difficulty communicating with colleagues, it may be helpful for you to complete the Adult Checklist. This won’t provide enough detailed information for a diagnostic assessment, but can be useful and a pointer towards future assessment needs. It contains questions that are predictive of dyslexia.

There are lots of successful strategies which can support you and will limit the impact of dyslexia.

If you have concerns, please ask your line manager for a referral to Occupational Health for further advice and guidance.

Helpful links:

‘Kara Tointon: Don’t call be stupid’, Part of the ‘Born Survivors’ series on BBC Three, is available to watch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7cfD0PMV84. Kara Tointon is an actress who has dyslexia. The documentary follows her assessment and specialist assistance in coping with this neurological condition.