Technician wins top award

Award winning technician Sarah Cooper

A University of Portsmouth technician famed for keeping calm in a crisis has won the Higher Education Academy (HEA) Technician of the Year Award in medicine and dentistry.

Sarah Cooper is a senior online course developer for the faculty of science and has worked at the University since 2010. Her job involves creating online unit information and assessments, and supporting academics and students to use the online learning environment, Moodle.

The technician of the year award is designed to celebrate the significant role played by technicians in delivering world class teaching and in supporting student learning.

Sarah’s manager, Associate Dean (students) David Franklin said: “Sarah is a delight to work with, creative, inventive, and brilliant at dealing with stressed students and academics when things go wrong.  Sarah manages her own work and is very pro-active in seeking out new ways to further her own skills and also to further the development and use of technology enhanced learning across the science faculty.”

Speaking about the award, Sarah said: “I feel honoured, as it’s not something I’d even considered. Just to be nominated was a fantastic feeling. Seeing that your work can make a difference in student learning is important to me, but to win this award was a shock. It’s interesting to see that I was the only female to win. Even across the whole of the STEM awards there were only two women who have won awards this year.

“I really enjoy working at the University, the support and networking available is fantastic, and you are made to feel like a team, that you have a part to play. I have the advantage of working with academic, support staff and students, so I get to see all sides of how the University works. Its great seeing my ideas develop into learning materials for the students, and knowing that staff can see how important online learning has become.”