Trailblazer shortlisted for contribution to education

Tireless effort: Dr Sarah Turnbull

A talented leader in her field and a passionate advocate for women in education, Dr Sarah Turnbull, from the University of Portsmouth, has been shortlisted for an international award.

Dr Turnbull has been shortlisted for the outstanding contribution to education award, which aims to recognise those who have gone above and beyond their day-to-day job, in the GESS (Global Educational Supplies & Solutions) Awards.

The awards aim to recognise success in education worldwide.

She said: “I was very excited to hear that I have been shortlisted for this international award. Ever since I was a young girl I have always wanted to work in advertising and I followed my dream. Before joining the university I led the Emirates advertising account in the Middle East for eight years and I draw on this global advertising expertise in my teaching and research to inspire others. To receive international recognition for my writing and teaching is an honour.”

Dr Turnbull has a long list of accolades.

She is director of the University’s Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) course in the UK and in Germany; is the co-author of one of the subject’s leading textbooks; and is recognised as one of the UK’s leading academic authors by publishers Pearson.

Dr Turnbull has won recognition for her support for women’s education at all levels and her passion for her expert subject, marketing communications.

In working hours, she has mentored a number of women in her own institution and supported their education, including encouraging and inspiring four women to study for PhDs.

Out of work, she is a school governor at Portsmouth High School for Girls, a member of the Girls Day School Trust and undertakes a number of outreach activities, including career evenings, seminars and lectures to young women about marketing communications.

One of her PhD students said: “Sarah has conducted pioneering investigations in areas which had been under-researched, such as the Middle East, overcoming complex cultural challenges to achieve her goals.

“Her drive to develop conversations about the role of women working and contributing to creativity in advertising has resulted in many top academic peer reviewed journals.”

Another said: “Her enthusiasm for the advertising topic is infectious, and her capacity for hard work and commitment is inspiring. She provides rounded support to her students in a most authentic and proactive way. Her encouragement and direction has provided me with the motivation and confidence to strive to succeed in a pressured environment. She is unfailingly generous with her advice and time, and her depth of knowledge of both marketing communications, and the writing and research process.”

The winner of the GESS Award will be announced in Dubai in February.

1 comment on this postSubmit yours
  1. Wonderful!!! I am so glad that women are not hindered by the realization of large plans. It is pleasant to understand that women made their important contribution to science as easily as men. Thanks to such educated people as Dr Sarah Turnbull. A beautiful, educated and successful woman should set an example for us. It is great that, in addition to her main concern, she also managed to manage organizations and schools for girls. People like Dr Sarah Turnbull hold our society.
    I sincerely thank for the trudge.