Former Head of School celebrates 50 years at the University

Jacqui Allen-West (left) was Annette’s secretary on and off for 20 years. She came in especially for the event.

A Principal Lecturer and former Head of School has been given a big send-off to celebrate 50 years working at the University.

Lecturer Annette Wilson from the School of Computing has just retired this week from the School of Computing.

In 1968, Miss Annette Fuller was awarded BSc Hons Mathematics and in the same year, started working as a lecturer in computer science at the-then Portsmouth Polytechnic.

Annette was living in her aunt’s flat in Worthing and, on her first day in her first job, she travelled down to Portsmouth by train only to find the department locked and no way in, before realising it was a bank holiday.

She married Steve Wilson and in 1973 had to take a career break to have children, because maternity leave in that era was only a few days.

In 1976, she returned as a part time lecturer, and in 1983 was made senior lecturer.

In 1994, she was appointed principal lecturer, then in 1999, was made Director of UG studies. Promotions kept coming. She was appointed Faculty Head of Taught Programmes in 2002, then made Associate Dean in 2005, and in 2007 was made Head of School until 2013. She semi-retired and has been a Principal Lecturer since then.

Dr Alice Good, lecturer in the School of Computing, who organised the send-off for Annette said:  “The event went very well, with colleagues in attendance, who worked with her, right back from the 1960s. Many are retired and came in especially for the event.”

5 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. Thank you to Annette for the fantastic lecturing and tutoring during my final year in 2007. I am particularly thankful for your advanced data structures module which prepared me well for my career in computer forensics.

2. Congratulations Annette, enjoy your retirement – I remember you and Steve from my time at the university 91-95. Best wishes, Ian Mills WH95

3. As an ex-colleague I can say well done. You’ve made a difference. Enjoy.

4. I would like to thank you for your excellent supervision during my final year project in 2016. You always went above and beyond the line of duty. I wish you all the best for your retirement.

5. Thank you, Annette! It was wonderful studying with you and I wish you the retirement of your dreams! All the best, stay healthy and remember you have made a difference in many people’s lives!