Student engineers win national acclaim

Flying the flag for women in engineering: Catherine and her supervisor Dr Shikun Zhou

Portsmouth engineering students have shone brighter than ever for the high quality of their work at a grant-awarding event held by engineering’s leading national body.

The University of Portsmouth is one of just two universities to have more than one undergraduate students win acclaim from industry experts for the high quality of their work.

The achievement awards come with a £1,000 grant to help winners progress their work and were given by The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) as part of its mission to celebrate excellence and innovation in the sector.

The Portsmouth winners are Adam Lyndsell, in the School of Mechanical and Design Engineering and Catherine Flory, in the School of Energy and Electronic Engineering. Both say they were inspired to study engineering as a way of helping people, and that they were driven to design things that make people’s lives better.

Catherine said: “I’m thrilled to have won this award, as it means I can explore my final year project to its full potential.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunities the award offers, it’s such an honour to have been a part of this.

“My family has three daughters and two of us are already engineers. I wish to see more women taking engineering careers.”

Catherine has been supported at University by her tutor, Dr Shikun Zhou, in the School of Computing.

He said: “Catherine and I initially developed the project idea and wrote her grant application during her placement last year in a top company. I’m so proud she and Adam have won this acclaim and proud of Catherine for being such an excellent role model for women in engineering.

“It’s a wonderful tribute to the high quality of engineering at Portsmouth that our students shine so brightly. We have a rich heritage in engineering at Portsmouth and are very proud our current generation of students are of such a high quality in their work and their tenacity to be the best.”