Strictly star is World Champion

University Sports Scholar Lauren Steadman has won gold at the ITU World Championships – just a week before she’s due to appear on Strictly Come Dancing.

The paratriathlete regained the world title after winning the PTS5 category on the Gold Coast in Australia over the weekend.

But there’ll be no time to rest for the 25-year-old, as she returns to the UK to start rehearsals for the BBC show with her dance partner AJ Pritchard.

Lauren, who completed a Master’s degree in Business and Management at the University, has been a Sports Scholar at the University for the past five years. During this time she took part in two Paralympic Games, winning a silver medal in Rio 2016, and became a double World Champion and six time European Champion. The University still supports Lauren today as part of her quest to win Gold at Tokyo 2020.

The elite para-triathlete was born missing her lower right arm, but this didn’t stop her developing a passion for swimming from a young age and competing in her first Paralympic games as a swimmer at age 15. Lauren has since specialised in Paratriathlon. 

View this post on Instagram

2018 World Champion. 😱😬🇦🇺🥇 – – Words cannot describe just what regaining the world title meant to me….It has taken two years to fight my way back to the top and it wasn’t the easiest of journeys, but with determination, resilience and hard work, it became possible. I would like to say thank you to all my friends and family, and those who’ve believed in me, even when I didn’t! @areteltd @brittri @jonnyriall @scvitalfitness @portsmouthuni @upandrunning_uk @paultilley – – – Thank you to my coach @robin.a.brew within a year you have refocused my mindset, given me the confidence to push my boundaries and allowed me to love my sport once again- an impossible feat without your support and guidance. It was great to have you out here in Australia supporting me the whole way! – – But the biggest thank you goes to my training partner @bowsh33 you are the reason I won the world championships! You didn’t even realise it but you pushed me to train harder everyday, you gave me a reason to get up ridiculously early, amused me with your witty ‘comments’ and you never gave up on me- even if I was a grumpy girl! Thank you for being you- I have loved training alongside you! 💛 – – – To my sponsors for their continued support @asicseurope @speedouk @scienceinsport @btownbikes @trekbikes @iambikefit – – – And lastly to my new partner in crime @aj11ace and family @bbcstrictly …next stop London Town to learn some new moves!!! 💄💃🏻🕺🏻👠✨

A post shared by Lauren Steadman (@laurensteadmann) on