Next generation of legal talent to be nurtured at local law firm

As the new academic year gets underway, Portsmouth legal practice, Verisona Law, has accepted two students from the University of Portsmouth who will spend the next year gaining professional experience at the firm.

Students Sarah Lawal and James Woodhouse were supported through the Business and Law Placement Office which have had a total of five students at Verisona Law in the last four years. The Placement Office support students through every aspect of the recruitment process to help them feel confident about the skills and talent they can offer to the business. James and Sarah would have received feedback on applications and interview practice sessions as well as the opportunity to attend a variety of skills and employer-based workshops.

After seeing advertisements at the University, sending applications through the Placement Office and attending interviews at the offices of Verisona Law, Sarah and James were offered placements at the firm for a ‘sandwich year’ that will complement their studies.

Sarah, who has already completed two years of her law degree and will be working as a trainee paralegal across various departments, is clear about her motivations for seizing the opportunity.

‘I want to gain experience and understanding of how a law firm operates, so that when I come to apply for graduate schemes at the end of my degree, they know I can hit the ground running,’ the 20 year old explains. ‘I also hope that this year will help me identify specific areas of law I would like to pursue in my career.’

James, who is 21 years old, studying Law with Business and will be assisting the firm’s highly respected Historic Abuse team, agrees. ‘It is about taking some time out to find a sense of direction and learn where the studying can take you, as well as gaining a competitive edge when it comes to entering the job market later on.’

‘I feel very fortunate,’ he continues. ‘There were only a handful of placements available in Portsmouth and even fewer in law, so to have been given this opportunity is really exciting.’

‘We are very proud to welcome Sarah and James to the firm,’ says Maria Hart, Chief Operations Officer at Verisona Law. ‘After the success of individuals who have taken on placements with us in previous years and made impressive contributions to the firm, we wanted to continue offering similar opportunities to support the next generation of legal talent.’

The Placement Office team are delighted that Sarah and James have secured their placement at Verisona Law and look forward to following their progress and success over the course of the year.