Ex Bake Off star rises to 24-hour running challenge

Enwezor Nzegwu from the University of Portsmouth and 2015 Great British Bake Off contestant is taking part in a 24-hour running challenge next month ahead of the London Marathon in April.

Enwezor is running the 2018 London Marathon as part of a group called the ‘Bakers Dozen’ – 13 ex-Great British Bake Off bakers

He is running the 2018 London Marathon as part of a group called the ‘Bakers Dozen’ – 13 ex-Great British Bake Off bakers who have donned their running shoes and are planning to go through the pain barrier to complete the 26.2 miles

As part of his fundraising, Enwezor, 42, has organised a 24-hour relay treadmill run on 15 March at the University of Portsmouth, starting at 12 noon, raising money for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.

Lauren Steadman, British Paralympic athlete and University of Portsmouth graduate, will be taking part in the treadmill run.

Enwezor, who works as a business consultant, explains why he is raising money for the charity: “Last year, my wife and I met a young woman at a pop-up dinner event.  She was in her early 20s and had an oxygen mask on her face with a tank next to her. We got talking and she told me she had cystic fibrosis, which makes it really difficult to get enough oxygen into her bloodstream. She was fighting just to breathe. I told her that I’d raise money for whichever charity she wanted and she chose the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.

“This was in May 2017. We planned to get together after the July summer holidays to plan some fundraising activities as she was quite into baking. On the day I was supposed to meet her, her dad texted me that she was rushed into hospital and she’d contact me when she was recovered. I got another text a few days later telling me that she was being fitted with a mechanical lung, which I understand is a last ditch measure and a dangerous procedure. I didn’t hear anything for six months. I feared the worst and then in January 2018, I got a message from one of her friends telling me that she had a double lung and liver transplant in September and was still in intensive care.

“I don’t know any more and I will not intrude in what must be such a difficult time for her family. I’m just going to run as hard as I can for a brave girl who is fighting for her life. It’s not much but I hope in a small way it helps.”

There are a small number of places available to join Enwezor on the treadmill challenge and he is also looking for sponsorship for himself and the other runners on the 24-hour challenge. A number of prizes for guessing the total distance covered during the treadmill run are available for those who sponsor £10 or more including a private lesson from Enwezor on how to cook macarons and a batch of 24 homemade macarons.

If you would be interested in taking part in the challenge, sponsoring runners or donating prizes for guessing the total distance run, please contact Enwezor via his fundraising page: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/EnwezorLondonMarathon2018

There is a Facebook page too.