Financial Support for New Healthcare Students

Did you start a pre-registration healthcare course on or after 1 August 2017? If so, you may be eligible for funding support from the new Learning Support Fund (LSF).

What is the Learning Support Fund (LSF)?

Following the Government’s Healthcare Education Funding Reform consultation, new students on Nursing, Midwifery and some Allied Health Professional courses who started their course on or after 1 August 2017 should apply to the Student Loans Company for their tuition fees and maintenance loan. In addition to this, the Department of Health established a new Learning Support Fund to provide extra financial support to eligible students on these courses. The LSF is made up of three allowances:

• Child Dependants Allowance (CDA)

This provides eligible students who have one or more dependent children under 15 years, or under 17 years if registered with special educational needs, a grant of £1,000. This is paid in three termly instalments and you need to reapply for this at the start of each academic year while in study. Please note, you must apply for this element within nine months of the first date of the current academic year otherwise it cannot be paid.

• Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses (TDAE)

A key part of your course is attending practice placements, and with this could be additional expenses relating to travel and possibly dual accommodation while on placements. This element of LSF allows eligible students to claim back their expenses. Please note, you must apply for your expenses within nine months of the last date of your placement otherwise they cannot be paid.

• Exceptional Support Fund (ESF)

Time at university can bring with it financial worries, and some students may find themselves in severe and genuine unexpected financial hardship. If this occurs, ESF allows eligible students to apply for a grant of up to £3,000 per academic year to cover any shortfall between income and expenditure.

How do I apply for elements of LSF?

You can apply for elements of LSF by creating an account on the Learning Support Fund Application System (LSFAS). Once you have done this you can apply for any of the allowances as required, and you can apply for one or more allowance at any time.

When you first apply for any of the elements, you will need to send NHS Business Services Authority Student Services a copy of your student finance letter which they will keep on file. You can do this when you register or when you send in evidence for whichever element you have applied for. If you are not in receipt of a student loan, please give them a call on 0300 330 0521 and an advisor will discuss how to proceed.

It is important you also attached your student coversheet to any correspondence you send to them so it can be allocated to your account and avoid any delays in assessment and payment.

For more information about LSF, including the eligibility criteria and guidance booklets, please visit or find them on Twitter @NHSBSA_LSF and

2 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. My name is Bornita, I am a February 2017 intake student nurse.
    I recently found that I have to repeat two of my modules, self funded. due to the repeat I will not be receive any funding from NHS.
    I am currently struggling with this news as I am not able to financially support myself with housing rent and funding for the the repeated modules.
    am applying for the Exceptional Support Fund (ESF) to be given the opportunity to finish my education and one day become fully qualified nurse.