Graduate Recruitment and Placement Fair well received by students and employers

IMG_0466A successful Graduate Recruitment and Placement Fair, at the Portsmouth Guildhall last week, was attended by nearly 2,200 students who were from all stages of their studies and across all five faculties.

Organised by the Careers and Employability Service, formerly Purple Door Careers and Recruitment, students were able to meet a wide range of employers in one place with the unique opportunity to network – giving their job prospects a real boost! Of the 60 employers in attendance, 70% of these were looking to recruit students from any degree discipline, therefore providing an abundance of career possibilities.

Large graduate recruiters still recognise recruitment fairs as one of the best ways to recruit the talent they need. Debbie Fielder from IBM said “We had an absolutely fabulous time! By far one of the best organised careers fairs I’ve attended – For IBM these kind of events are a great opportunity to reach out to students who may not have considered us before as a career option. A lot of people have heard of IBM and associate us with either technology or consultancy, and we’re aiming to raise awareness of the other areas we recruit for – sales, marketing, HR, data science, project management, business”.

Many of the exhibitors were University of Portsmouth Alumni and Tom Wilkins of BAE Systems told us “Having graduated in 2015, I jumped at the opportunity to come back to UoP, this time in my graduate job! Whilst at university I gained a great advantage from attending the vast array of career events; including the graduate fair, employer presentations in Purple Door and skills coaching sessions. I have no doubt that these opportunities helped me obtain my position on the BAE Systems graduate scheme in what is an increasingly competitive graduate jobs market. I’m really pleased that I can now support UoP students who are wanting to find the start of their dream careers, offering all the advice and guidance I can.”

Although there’s plenty of information available online about graduate schemes and jobs, the chance to ask employers questions directly remains invaluable. Jason Bissessur, a final year student said “this event was a great experience and gave me the chance to gain an understanding of various business sectors, company cultures, available roles and application processes within organisations – overall it was a great opportunity to get my foot in the door!”

Feedback from employers has shown that students were well prepared and asked interesting questions. Christopher Thomas from the NHS Leadership Academy noted “As an alumni, I was so pleased to see so many enthusiastic and well –informed students”

For more information about employer events, please visit www.port.ac.uk/purpledoor.