Radiographer’s winning poster reveals truth about career

Spittal-posterA radiographer who graduated from the University of Portsmouth two years ago has won a national competition to design a poster to mark World Radiography Day.

Hannah Spittal, 23, is a radiographer on the island of Guernsey, where she was born and grew up.

She hopes her poster (pictured) – and the other two winning designs – will help raise the profile of radiography as a profession.

She said: “I was excited and shocked to win, especially when I saw the standard of the two other winning designs.

“We were given several statements to use as a basis for a poster design and when I saw the ‘Radiographers at the heart of a healthier nation’ one I thought I could have a good go at it. Radiography and the role of a radiographer is not widely recognised, so by using photos showing all the different things radiographers do might help people recognise our contribution to healthcare.

“There are over 33,000 of us in the UK working 24/7, 365 days a year to ensure patients get the best outcomes.

Hannah Spittal

Hannah Spittal

“In Guernsey each year, we see around 32,000 patients and that’s about half the population of the island. I hope that being chosen as a winner means our small radiography team can get some recognition for the important role we play in healthcare provision on the island.”

World Radiography Day is November 8, the anniversary of the discovery of x-radiation by Wilhelm Roentgen in 1895.

Radiographers worldwide can use the day and the days around the date to promote radiography as a career, as a vital contribution to modern healthcare and as a chance to increase public awareness of diagnostic imaging and radiation therapy.

The University of Portsmouth course trains radiographers able to help diagnose and treat illness, as part of their role in the wider healthcare team. The course has a 100 per cent employment rate.