Volunteering Fair 2017

Volunteering-Fair-web-image-3 (1)On Wednesday 4 October the Careers and Employability Service will welcome 45 local charities and not-for-profit organisations on to campus for their annual Volunteering Fair. The event, which will take place 12.00-3.00pm in the Third Space, gives a unique opportunity for students, graduates and staff to speak directly to representatives from a broad range of organisations about volunteer roles available in the local community.

Our students are increasingly recognising the benefits of volunteering, with the Careers & Employability Service recording 1332 student volunteers in the 2016/17 academic year. One of these volunteers reflected, “the experience has helped me improve my writing and communication skills and has also helped me adapt to the professional work environment I will be faced with daily after university. It has definitely been a beneficial experience, I found that my confidence has improved and my CV is a lot more appealing. A lot of the job role and responsibilities matched the required criteria for placements”.

The fair will be attended by organisations including the British Red Cross, No.6 Cinema, the Stroke Association, Portsmouth Youth Offending Team, the Mary Rose Museum, Code Club and Portsmouth Abuse & Rape Counselling Service (PARCS), but with 100s of roles available there should be opportunities to suit everyone. Careers Advisers and staff who run the Volunteer Bank in the Careers and Employability Service will also be on-hand to make sure you get the most from the event.

Undertaking voluntary work experience is a great way to try out different career paths, address skills gaps and gain interesting work experience to make sure your graduate job applications stand out from the crowd, all whilst giving back to the local community. Employers value volunteer experience too, in a recent Volunteer Impact Survey Deloitte found that 82% of employers would be more likely to choose a candidate with volunteer experience on their CV. So don’t get left behind, drop along on the 4th to find out about how volunteering could benefit you!

For those unable to attend the fair, the Careers & Employability Service advertises volunteer roles year-round in the Volunteering Bank.

2 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. I am a new child and youth studies student. It would be great to undertake any related voluntary work.
    Currently, I am teaching Mandarin in chinsese sunday school as a volunteer. Therefore, I am also interested in doing language voluntary job.

• Hi Qian,

If you’d like to speak to someone in more detail about volunteering opportunities please email purpledoor-volunteering@port.ac.uk.