Portsmouth graduates the most successful in the South East

More than 96 per cent of University of Portsmouth graduates are finding jobs or continuing with their studies within six months of graduating, according to national figures released today (6 July 2017).

The annual Destination of Leavers in Higher Education (DLHE) survey, which measures UK higher education institutions’ graduate employment outcomes, reveals that 96.5 per cent of Portsmouth graduates are in employment or further study – an increase of 3.8 per cent on the previous year’s survey.

The University of Portsmouth is ranked first out of the 17 other higher education institutions in the South East region in terms of our graduates’ performance and ranked joint 21st out of 153 (putting it in the top 15 per cent) institutions nationally.

The figures come hot on heels of the University of Portsmouth receiving a prestigious ‘Gold’ rating in the Teaching Excellence Frameworkone of only four universities in the South East region to be rated gold – and its steady rise in a range of independent guides and awards. It was ranked 37th in the 2018 Guardian University Guide (having risen for the third successive year from 43rd in last year’s guide and 49th in 2016) and for the third consecutive year, Portsmouth was ranked in the top 100 young universities in the world, in the Times Higher Education ranking of universities which are less than 50 years old.

Professor Graham Galbraith, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Portsmouth, said:  “The annual DLHE survey is a key performance measure which, in addition to our TEF Gold award, confirms a consistent positive direction of travel for the University.

“Our improvement reflects the University’s investment in high-quality staff and our focus on career enhancing activities as an embedded part of our students’ learning. We offer work placements as well as simulated ‘real-life’ work experience across our broad range of subjects including law, engineering, architecture and dentistry.”

2016 Computer Games Technology graduate Elliott Ayling from Crookhorn, who studied at South Downs College and is now working as a Graduate Software Engineer, said: “I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the University of Portsmouth, and always felt fully supported by the staff and lecturers. I was particularly encouraged by my dissertation supervisor who supported me both before and after graduation. He encouraged me and made it possible for me to work on real world and relevant scientific projects. He also encouraged and facilitated our collaboration on a published research paper, something I would never have thought of doing myself.

“The experience gave me valuable industry skills which helped me get noticed whilst searching for jobs after graduation, and help me perform in the position I have now as a software engineer.”

Laura Cox, who graduated in 2016 with a BSc (Hons.) Dental Hygiene and Dental Therapy, said: “I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the University of Portsmouth. It is a very realistic environment to learn in so that all the students are well prepared and equipped to enter the real world as working dental care professionals. The learning opportunities have been second to none and there are many ways in which to grow not only as a learner but as a professional also.

“Since graduating I have had my research paper published in a journal. I have also gained a place on a competitive post-graduate training scheme which has enabled further educational and training opportunities.”

To view the statistics in full, visit https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/performance-indicators/employment-summary

1 comment on this postSubmit yours
  1. Hi I’m taibat i wish to study peace and conflict manegment in your school but in pre Master.

Best wishes