Law student wins Middle Temple scholarship

Budding barrister Matt Davies

Budding barrister Matt Davies

A University of Portsmouth law student has been awarded the highly coveted Harmsworth scholarship to study as a barrister.

Matt Davies has been awarded £13,500 by the Middle Temple, one of four Inns of Court through which barristers are called to the Bar.

Matt will use the scholarship to pay most of the fees for his Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC), which he will study next year at the University of the West of England, Bristol.

He said: “It is a huge honour to receive this scholarship. I was so thrilled when I received the confirmation of the award. Not only will it help me financially to study the BPTC, but it has given me confidence in my abilities and in my aspiration to pursue a career at the Bar. The support from the University has been invaluable and I cannot thank those who have supported me enough.”

The Harmsworth scholarship was set up by Lord Rothermere, an honorary Bencher, and by Master Astbury, a Lord Justice of Appeal.

Principal law lecturer Bernard Davis said: “A career at the Bar is an ambition for many law students nationwide, but the standards are extremely high, the competition for scholarships is ferocious, and the judges who make the award, senior barristers with considerable experience of assessing people, are tough and not easily impressed.”

“To earn even a minor scholarship of a few hundred pounds is a massive achievement, but being awarded a major scholarship of this magnitude is absolutely outstanding by any measure. The award speaks volumes for Matt’s progress in his studies at Portsmouth Law School and in his notably successful year as an inspirational President of the Student Law Society. He has a bright future ahead of him.”