The impact of respiratory muscle training (RMT) on healthy snorers

Powerlung_Breathair_1280x1280__49541.1473075197

Research Title: A feasibility study to examine the impact of respiratory muscle training (RMT) upon quality of life and sleep quality in healthy regular snorers.

Department: School of Health Sciences and Social work

The purpose of this study is to investigate whether respiratory muscle training (using an approved breathing muscle trainer) will reduce snoring and improve sleep quality in individuals that regularly snore. The form of training has been shown to have a positive effect in athletes and for those with respiratory diseases such as asthma and COPD. This study aims to investigate whether or not training of the respiratory muscles will result in a reduction in snoring and improvement in sleep quality.

Volunteers must be:

• Age: 18 years upwards
  • Gender: Either
  • Staff/Student: Both

The study will involve healthy students/staff registered with the University of Portsmouth. A simple health questionnaire will determine whether you meet inclusion criteria.

More Information:

• Dates: 24/04/2017 to 15/07/2017
  • Duration: 28 days
  • Location: St Michael's Building

If you would like more information, contact Kiran Jawaid at up700382@myport.ac.uk

Please free to contact me for further detail or if you have any queries regarding this research.

This testing has been reviewed by the Science Faculty ethics committee and been given the following ethics code: SFEC 2015/029

2 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. I would be interested in learning more about this and participating.

• Dear Lynn Kimber,
      Please would you email me on my email address above and I will send you all the information you need to sign up for this study.
      I am very pleased to hear from you and if you drop me a quick email, that would be great.
      Thank you,
      Kiran Jawaid