Evi Stamatiou reads at North London Literary Festival

Caryatid Unplugged, Evi StamatiouEvi Stamatiou, Lecturer in Musical Theatre in the School of Media and Performing Arts at the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries at the University of Portsmouth, spoke at the North London Literary Festival last week.

Evi was invited to read part of her one-woman show Caryatid Unplugged and speak about Writing Beyond Genres and Borders.

“Caryatid Unplugged is a piece that I originally wrote and performed in 2013 at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe,” explains Evi. “The piece was about the ‘dystopia’ of a Greek woman facing deportation in the UK. After Brexit, the piece was extremely relevant so I reworked on it and performed  at the Rosemary Branch Theatre in London in June 2016 and at Nour Festival in London in Novemebr 2016.”

“I write across stage and film genres and I challenge fictional and non-fictional approaches, and I combine text-based and devising theatre-making and filmmaking practices,” she continues. “My work aims for art that transcends the aesthetic and that is immediately relevant to society. I am dedicated to nurturing new talent, especially social groups that are underrepresented on stage, like women and ethnic minorities. The benefit for the industry is work that derives from a combination of artists’ passion and craft  and contributes/triggers discussions in the public sphere. What also seems very promising is the impact on society–makers from underrepresented social groups test their own agency in the cultural field and beyond and are invited to offer to audiences more diversity in representation.”

To see more of Evi’s work, visit: www.evistamatiou.com

Photo: November 2016 performance of Caryatid Unplugged at Nour Festival in London, with set is by 3rd year BA (Hons) Drama and Performance student Estelle Watson