ESA astronaut Tim to talk to Portsmouth public

ESA astronaut Tim Peake

ESA astronaut Tim Peake

Astronaut and University of Portsmouth alumnus Tim Peake will attend a free public event to be hosted by the University at the Portsmouth Guildhall on Wednesday, 2 November.

Tim, the first British European Space Agency astronaut on the International Space Station (ISS), will give members of the public a first-hand account of his six-month mission in space. The event will also see him being awarded an honorary degree by the University.

The evening event follows a UK Space Agency Schools Conference hosted by the University, which celebrates the work of over a million UK school students inspired by Tim’s Principia mission.

Tim said “I’ve been extremely touched by the support of the British public before, during and after my mission to the ISS and I hope that my post-flight tour and public events will allow me to thank as many of those people as possible.”

Historic spacewalk: Tim is the first British astronaut to embark on a spacewalk from the ISS

Tim studied flight dynamics and evaluation at the University and graduated in 2006. He will be interviewed on stage by a cosmologist from the University’s Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Graham Galbraith said: “I feel very proud and excited to be hosting Tim in Portsmouth. His remarkable journey to space has been inspirational for both children and adults and we’re thrilled he’ll be sharing his experiences with students, staff and members of the public.”

A second conference and public event will take place at the University of York on Saturday, 5 November.

The public event is on Wednesday, 2 November from 7.30pm – 9pm. Doors open at 6.30pm. The first batch of tickets will be released on Eventbrite at 9am on Wednesday 12 October.

17 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. This implies there will be a second batch of tickets released…can you please tell us when that will be?
    Thank you

• Hello,

The next tickets will be released on Wednesday 19 October at 12.30pm.

Best wishes,

Sophie

2. These tickets have already sold out. Will there be a second batch issued and, if so, do you know when? If not, is there a waiting list I can add my name to?
    Thanks
    Kim

• Dear Kim,

Best wishes,

Sophie

3. Hi, in the info on the Tim Peake talk it says today was the first batch of tickets for the event. Please can you tell me when further tickets will be released. I didn’t see it in ti
    E and my son would love this. Thank you

• Dear Vikki,

Best wishes,

Sophie

4. You say the first batch of tickets will be released today (which of course naturally they’ve sold out), but are there due to be any more batches released, and if so, when?

• Dear Alexandra,

Best wishes,

Sophie

5. I would have LOVED tickets to this event having followed Tim through his time on the ISS and watching it fly over at every opportunity! It was such a shame that the tickets went ‘on sale’ at 9am when (depending on your job) is it NOT possible to access the internet and try and obtain tickets. By the time I had a chance to apply, of course the tickets were gone. It says in this article that these tickets were the ‘1st batch’ – maybe if more are released they can be made available at a different time?
    I hope the evening is a success, and that there are some details about it published at a later date, so that those of us unable to attend can at least read about it.

• Dear Estelle,

Best wishes,

Sophie

6. Hi there

Can you tell me when the next lot of tickets will go on sale please??

Many thanks

Sally

• Hi Sally,

Best wishes,

Sophie

• Thanks Sophie

I have a very enthusiastic 4 year old who would love to come along. Is that acceptable??

Thanks

• Admission would not be refused but we have advised 7+ because Tim is mainly speaking and younger children might not find it especially engaging, also the event doesn’t finish until 9pm.

7. second batch of ticket gone in 5 seconds.

8. Hello, Could you let me know if there will be any more tickets available for this as I would really love to be there! 🙂

• Tickets went extraordinarily quickly and there are no more being released as the venue is at capacity.
      We may stream the event into another venuw – keep an eye on social media for details