NHS walk-in services in Portsmouth are changing

From 1 July, 2016 there will be some important changes to NHS walk-in services in Portsmouth.NHS

• The walk-in service at St Mary’s Treatment Centre* will be strengthened, with GPs employed to work there for the first time, alongside the existing nursing teams.
  • Walk-in appointments at Guildhall Walk Healthcare Centre will only be available for people who are registered at the centre for their ongoing care – in the past they have been available for anyone.
  • Opening hours at the Guildhall Walk practice will change (see below).

The new system is designed to be simpler, better, and more effective.

In future, anyone with a minor illness or minor injury who needs to visit a walk-in centre rather than wait to visit their own GP surgery, can access the city’s most comprehensive service yet, at St Mary’s Treatment Centre*. The new, enhanced walk-in service will have both GPs and nurses, ready access to diagnostics such as x-ray, excellent facilities, and good links between the staff there and specialists at QA.

People who have used Guildhall Walk Healthcare Centre as a walk-in service in the past, but who are registered at a different GP practice, are advised to consider the following options for minor illness or injury in future:

• Your own GP surgery: they will offer a ‘same day’ service if you need help urgently, and cannot wait for a booked appointment.
  • Your local pharmacy: they can give advice and treatment for a wide range of minor health problems, without an appointment.
  • The NHS 111 phone service: open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • St Mary’s Treatment Centre*: from 1 July this service will offer walk-in appointments with GPs or nurses – whichever you need to see – if you have a minor illness or injury which needs urgent attention.
  • Guildhall Walk: you can register as a patient at Guildhall Walk Healthcare Centre for your ongoing care, instead of being registered with your current GP.

*St Mary’s Treatment Centre is on Milton Road, Portsmouth PO3 6DW, and the bus routes passing near St Mary’s are 2, 17, 19, and 21.

From 1 July, 2016 the opening hours of the GP practice at Guildhall Walk Healthcare Centre will be:

8.00am-8.00pm: Mondays and Fridays

8.00am-6.30pm: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays

8.00am-12.00pm: Saturdays and Sundays

For more information about these changes, and the background to them, visit www.portsmouthccg.nhs.uk/guildhallwalk.

3 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. I have used the Walk -in centre in Guildhall Walk for several years, as trying to get an appointment with my own GP is extremely difficult. I have now registered with Guildhall walk, and find that their service is exceptional. The only criteria, is that if you live outside their catchment area of PO1 – PO6, they cannot provide a home visit.

2. This is a disappointing development. I have used the Guildhall Walk service on more than one occasion. This has enabled me to travel to Portsmouth, see a doctor and get to work on time. If I have to wait at home for an appointment I will miss work or be extremely late. I cannot register with Guildhall Walk as I live on the Isle of Wight and need to have a local GP. St Mary’s will be much further from work and much harder to get to. I think it is a great pity to lose this service in the centre of town as it enabled non-Portsmouth residents to attend work without too greater loss of time. Surely that was good for the local economy.

3. I used the walk-in centre at 2 occasions, I had 2 allergic reactions which needed immediate treatment, it was very convenient to be seen near my work place.
    I was impressed by the service provided, it is such a shame this service will no longer be available. Another loss:(