Photography student wins major bursary

Award-winning: Krasimira Butseva

Award-winning: Krasimira Butseva

A University of Portsmouth photography student is one of only three in the UK to be awarded a major national bursary.

Final-year student Krasimira Butseva was awarded the Photo Meet bursary by the Association of Photography for Higher Education (APHE), an organisation which supports and develops the study of photography within higher education.

Krasimira said: “It feels amazing to have won. I still can’t believe my work was chosen from so many others. I feel more confident about what I do and am even more motivated to work as hard as I can to achieve my plans.

“I think the bursary will help me make my way into the industry. It gives me an excellent opportunity to meet professionals and hear their thoughts on my work. I can not only improve my whole practice but also create new contacts, understand more about the different industries and get a little closer to my goal to eventually participate in artist residencies.”

Krasimira started making videos at the age of 15. She said: “I used to make short films about songs I liked, parodies of my favourite movies or just random sketches I had on my mind. I’d also spend time staring at foreign copies of Vogue magazine, which inspired me to take photographs too. As a youngster I’d take my friends to the forest to practise photoshoots, using weird clothes to recreate the looks I’d seen in magazines.”

An example of Krasimira's work

An example of Krasimira’s work

Her work uses photography, video and written narrative to investigate the notions of personal and social memory in relation to representations of cultural politics and identity.

Dean of the Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries, Professor Catherine Harper, said: “This is fantastic news for Krasimira and I’m really delighted to hear of her success. It’s a real accolade, which will be an excellent addition to her professional CV.

“I’m also pleased for the team of staff who teach photography – each of whom is so committed to ensuring our students graduate as professionals, ready to work in photography or its associated professions.

“It’s especially pleasing that the MA Photography starts in September for students like Krasimira who wish to continue studying refining their craft with us.”

The winners will show their work this week to photographers, picture editors and curators.

Related news: 

Photo student Martyna-UoP News front pageSuccess for photography students

A University of Portsmouth photography student inspired by her grandfather to pick up a camera has come second in an international competition.

This shot by Alecsandra Dragoi was described as the

Portsmouth photography students are the best

Three Portsmouth photography students have had their work selected as the best in the country by a leading gallery director.