Majority of Portland car park closed from 11 March 2016

PortlandAs part of the enabling works for the Future Technology Centre, the majority of Portland car park will be closed from 11 March 2016 when sewer diversion work will be undertaken.

During these enabling works staff and students will still have access to Portland, Buckingham and Lion Gate buildings and pedestrian access will be maintained to Portland building through the courtyard area. Please bear with us while these activities are undertaken.

The disabled spaces will not be available in Portland car park, please use Lion Gate car park instead. The whole of Portland car park will be closed when construction begins later in the spring.

A variety of alternatives to parking continue to be available to Students and Staff:

•        University park and ride – Park at Langstone student village and ride the free University bus
  •        Cycle to work – a number of discounts available to staff
  •        University bus – free for students and staff
  •        Discounts on annual First Bus pass – First bus ticket application form 
  •        Gunwharf Quays car park – reduced rate available of £4 per day
  •        Park and Ride Portsmouth – from £4 per day
  •        Isambard Brunel multi storey car park – pre-paid, pay-as-you-go option called Park-It

If you have any questions or queries please email ftc@port.ac.uk.

95 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. This just makes me want to cry. Car Parking is already incredibly stressful and causes a great deal of anxiety. As someone with caring responsibilities I am not able to arrive extra early for work and end up driving around in tears trying to find a space before finally giving up and parking on the road at considerable cost that I just can’t afford. Closing Portland will only make this worse.

Thank you for the list of alternatives, unfortunately the University Bus doesn’t come to Havant and cycling to work would be a bit of a stretch. The other options are too far away that I will be late for work. Many seem to require that I pay money, and here I was thinking that I was already paying for a parking permit!!!

I don’t think you realise how much this issue is affecting staff.

• I completely agree
      The car parking at the University is anti-family, if you have any children to take to school, and live outside of Portsmouth, parking is very, very stressful
      It is also anti-staff, as with the University Nursery, students seem to get priority
      I do not really understand why students cannot get the train, bus, cycle or walk – we all did when we were students
      If a member of staff does not turn up to a class because the traffic was bad, they were delayed and did not get parked at 8.30, many students are inconvenienced
      Students also do not have as much to carry, in terms of laptops, work, marking etc
      At most Universities it is Staff only parking – that would alleviate some of the problem
      It is true that this issue really is affecting staff well being and morale, plus wasting a lot of time hanging around in car parks, searching for parking spaces
      University salaries are not that generous that we can afford that much money per day for parking either.
      The current and future situation with car parking is very worrying for those of us with no choice but to drive.

2. As someone who lives in Southampton, public transport solutions are impractical and just too expensive. If you want to attract and retain staff who live outside the Portsmouth area you must make appropriate accommodation.

As it is I need to leave home at least 90 minutes before my official start time to have a reasonable chance of getting a place; due to domestic arrangements an earlier departure is not possible so I am seriously worried what the closure might mean.

If the University cannot provide sufficient space, it should seriously consider parking allocation based on stricter criteria (distance, caring responsibilities, etc) and enforce them.

Ultimately, if the University cannot cater adequately to staff requirements it will lead to staff seeking employment elsewhere.

3. I live in Chichester so bus / cycling is not an option. The Train is unreliable and more expensive than car. I’m a single parent so need my car near by in case of an emergency at school. Driving to work is stressful and I wouldn’t do it unless I had to.

Parking on a Wednesday or Thursday has become much worse over recent months although Friday is still ok.

4. This is more bad news on the parking front. I make a point of arriving earlier than necessary so that I can hopefully get a place to park. In my nearest car park several of the spaces are often reserved for visitors, and there can be minibuses and other works vehicles taking up spaces as well, so it is always an unpredictable situation. Parking coupled with the increasing amount of traffic coming into the city make the journey to work stressful.

I hope any car park closures can be kept to a minimum, and also limited where possible to the summer months when there is less pressure on spaces.

5. What about the disabled staff? There aren’t enough disabled or ordinary spaces in the majority of car parks and some of us actually can’t walk that bit further or cope with the extra time and mammoth distance that using the park & ride or public transport options involves. For some of us it’s a case of if we can’t park really close to where we work we won’t be able to come in at all.

It would help if there was a bus that went from the ferry to the university, but as there isn’t a lot of people are forced to drive all the way around from Gosport. This would also help all the students who live that side of the water.

6. Public transport is expensive, can be unreliable and inconvenient, particularly from Clanfield where I live. I have a disabled husband at home and if he needs me to leave work in a hurry because of a crisis, a car is the only practical transport solution.

I would be happy to pay more for my University car parking permit if this would allow the existing car parks to continue.

7. As a Green Champion I am in favour of all environmentally friendly modes of transport, however I do understand everyone’s frustration as I sometimes need to use my car. Surely the University as a major employer in the city should be able to negotiate better subsidised rates of parking for their staff using the park and ride scheme, which is probably very under-used by them at present. The other problem with this scheme is the bus only goes to the hard and commercial road, which although not far from the many university buildings, still adds additional time to a journey which for some is very long anyway. The fares for public transport, although discounted in some cases are still much higher in comparison to driving. This does not really encourage our staff to be greener in their choices of travel to work, so come on university, maybe you should use your clout to help improve this situation for your staff 😀

8. As someone who has to travel 70 miles from Oxfordshire to Portsmouth, I would echo the concerns of others about parking at the University. I have to arrive at a ridiculously early time to get a parking place, even though my lectures may be late in the day. Why not follow the example of Southampton University who do not just dish permits out, but take into account other factors such as distance travelled, domestic situation, etc.?

If the University really wishes to retain high calibre visiting staff, they really need to deal with this situation.

9. Clearly, expansion is more important than keeping staff happy (or, put simply, than keeping staff.) More expansion will mean more staff and students – presumably, many of whom will have those pesky things called ‘cars’.

Parking is increasingly a problem on campus – and if Portland and Ravelin car parks disappear, then what are we going to be expected to do? Will there be a pay-rise to offset to exorbitant costs of Portsmouth’s public transport systems? I doubt that, highly.

10. Given the difficulty in parking at any time, I agree that stricter controls should be seriously considered: parking allocation based on criteria such as distance, caring responsibilities, etc.

I know many colleagues drive to work from Southsea; perhaps if permits reflected the real cost of driving in the city (including cost of providing land for parking spaces, increased pollution and traffic) it would be less appealing and those who have to drive to work would actually be able to find a space.

Large employers locally are doing more than the University to ensure spaces for their employees; for example SSE at Havant has limited parking: staff only get a space if they car share with others on a similar shift.

11. I am also finding car parking to be increasingly stressful. Unless you are in before 8.30 you can forget it. We are increasingly having to make more flexible arrangements for staff to start work from 7.30 onwards to ensure they can park, and this will eventually skew the working day.

I am not in a position where I can come in earlier, I have to drop my daughter at school , I expect many others are in a similar position.

What I find frustrating is that I believe staff park in UoP car parks even though they are PO1 postcodes and easily within walking distance. (I understand some need to drive).

It is also frustrating when UoP and contractor vans take spaces for weeks at a time and never move, especially when they have marked areas that are empty.

I am happy to take the train whenever possible (I find it easier and more relaxing) but this is not practical when doing the school run.

Some difficult discussions may need to take place I think.

12. Parking here is always one of the top causes of dissatisfaction amongst staff. (This won’t have been picked up in the recent Staff Opinion Survey except in the free-form comments.)
    It’s a particular concern for those with child-care responsibilities. This aspect is not good in respect of our Athena Swan aspirations.

13. Perhaps the university could do a deal with the PCC?
    Staff members could use their under used Park and Ride car park spaces for a fixed monthly fee, with the university providing the bus to a central stop, by Mercantile House.
    The bus can then loop back up Anglesea Road and be back at the Park and Ride site within minutes.

• Brilliant 🙂

14. I agree with Michele. Given how underused the Park & Ride is, perhaps the University could arrange a scheme with the Council whereby University parking permits could allow staff to park for free in the park & ride car park. Those with a permit who come in from outside Portsmouth / down the M275 would then be able to park in that car park and get the bus in (and the bus routes could perhaps be altered slightly to drop off a little nearer the University buildings?).

It would also help if the permit system were enforced. Students and local residents park in our car parks (Portland especially) without a permit and never seem to get caught, which only encourages more people to do it. When Portland car park was open, students were parking in the disabled bays every single day, without a permit or a disabled badge. And when even those spaces were full, they just parked up on the pavement next to the building – no parking wardens or parking tickets in sight. As well as the parking issues this all causes for staff, and especially for disabled staff and students who need those spaces, it also makes us look bad to visitors, potential students and local residents that we allow this kind of illegal parking to go unchecked.

A long term solution is absolutely vital. But instead, the new Estates plan just seems to involve getting rid of Ravelin car park to build a swimming pool, which is madness!

15. It would help if car parks were properly monitored by the University – far too many students (and others without permits) are using the car parks regularly and getting away with it, and you very rarely see a traffic warden – the situation is much worse than when managed by Estates, where clamping was in operation.

Also, why are some students given parking permits further reducing space available – obviously these are required for disability, but for no other reasons.

Car parking MUST be factored into the Estates Masterplan – the proposed new building on the swimming baths must have a large underground carpark (at least two storeys) to accommodate the very large number of staff who will be working there (swipe card entry only, so no unauthorised parking). Finally, not all staff work ‘regular’ hours – if you’re teaching late, you still have to get in early the day before and after to get a space.

16. When are Estates and Senior Management going to start addressing this issue. It is one that also affects visitors to the campus. In terms of Parking Subsidies, we already pay for parking permits so we shouldn’t have to pay to park somewhere else on top. Whilst I live on the island and it would be deemed acceptable for me to use public transport or cycle as others have suggested, public transport is unreliable and costly and I have no desire to arrive at work soaking wet and freezing cold (hats off to those that do)…….Something needs to be done and fast. The University need to realise that a large number of their staff need to use their cars and this just adds to the stress of coming to work.

17. For some reason we don’t seem to be building parking space in the University Quarter, but we continue to employ more people….

So, here’s a thought…

Do any of the Departments from one of the non-student facing support services fancy a change of scene (and a bit of fresh sea-air)?

If so, why don’t we relocate these Departments to Langstone where there’s a little more space.

Ta da!!

18. As a parent of young children for whom I regularly have to do school runs and physically cannot leave early enough, finding a parking space is becoming an ever increasing challenge that bears an immense burden, both mentally and financially.

I especially agree with Wendy regarding Ravelin car park. There appears to be a systematic reserving of spaces by estates vans, who park in normal bays in the evening so that they can move them in the morning to aid parking their own cars. Student union mini buses regularly occupy 2 spaces each so this often leaves most of the non-standard parking bays not used, for which, us mere mortals would suffer the wrath of PCC for using. The disabled bays are underutilised and don’t get me started on the grammar school parents who treat the carpark as their own personal drop off point and free parking.

Melbourne Place is only using 50% of the available spaces reportedly due to health and safety! It was safe enough for the Land Registry to use before we acquired it?

St Andrews Court is never fully utilised, so why aren’t visitors allocated parking there? Contractors are issued with standard permits that seem to entitle them to park from 8am till 9am in for example in Wiltshire while they enjoy their coffee in St Andrews court Café while the rest of us give up looking for a space and end up paying for parking.

Recently, two further standard spaces in Nuffield have been removed and allocated for the UOP Ambulance which never seems to be there.

I find it hard to believe that more staff aren’t commenting on the situation as it appears to be the single most frustrating aspect of working at the university, in my opinion.

• Harry Law also seems to fall victim to the ‘systematic reserving of spaces by estates vans’ too Justin.
      Their plan has been foiled and doesn’t go unnoticed! Will anything be done about it? I doubt it.

19. I’ve just been told we only use 1 storey of a 2 storey carpark, but it’s closed due to concrete cancer!

So how about we have a whip-round/check behind some sofa’s in Uni house/etc and spend the money on fixing the 2 storey building we already own.

I’m pretty handy with a tub of grout, btw.

20. Or, we could review working from home options for certain offices.

Not that I’d want to work from home – I’d miss my colleagues smiling faces 🙂

21. Or next year we could reduce the number of parking permits available, suspend them over a tank full of sharks and then see who REALLY needs them….

22. I agree with Michele on the green impact front, however, the level of stress the lack of parking is causing has an impact not just on those who drive, but on everyone who works with someone who drives. (People having to leave meetings to move cars (to avoid tickets), when one person arrives stressed it tends to spread, etc)

As a part time member of staff I am unable to benefit from the public transport discounts. I am also a student (attending evening lectures) and occasionally run evening events as part of my job. Unfortunately the University bus does not run between 7:30pm and 9pm, leaving me no option but driving home when I finish at 8pm.

There are also several occasions recently when the University bus has driven straight past my stops leaving dozens of students and staff stranded! For people with childcare responsibilities the bus service becomes too much of a risk.

I’m looking forward to the lighter evenings when I can get my bike out again 🙂

I’d love to know more about the Park-it scheme as this may provide a last resort parking space – could the broken link be fixed please!

23. I commute from Southampton. When I had a problem parking a couple of weeks ago, a colleague kindly suggested that I could park outside her house in Southsea and walk from there – when asked if she had walked to work, the reply was “no, I’ve driven in” !

With parking permits as cheap as they are and absolutely no restriction on who can get one, there is little reason for people to change their behaviour and leave the convenience of their cars, sadly.

• Nothing like throwing your colleague under the bus for helping you out 🙂

• Throwing colleagues under buses should be easy, but apparently they are really expensive and don’t run between the University and Southsea!! ;0)

24. I completely agree with the comments and frustrations listed above. I commute from Salisbury and leave increasingly early (well before 7am) to ensure I can battle with the M27 and still arrive in time to park. I am grateful that my husband can drop our son at nursery as I would have no choice but to leave my job if I had to do so in the morning, I just couldn’t cope with the stress of endlessly touring the university car parks every day. This does, however, mean I don’t get to see my son until 6.30pm each day, which is less than ideal.

Travelling by public transport would take considerable time and would unfortunately prevent me from being home in time to pick my son up from nursery. The park and ride would not solve the problem for me either as it is all extra commuting time I simply don’t have.

While I could work in Salisbury instead, to do so solely because of the parking arrangements seems ridiculous, especially when stricter criteria for issuing parking permits could surely alleviate this problem for those who are reliant on the car to get to work. It feels that the car parks are increasingly only useful for those who live in Southsea and who don’t have any caring responsibilities.

• Hi Heather, I live just off the A36 at Landford, fancy car sharing occassionally? 🙂

• Hi Jenny, I would definitely be interested – thank you for the offer. I will send you an e-mail to see if we can get the timings to work. Best wishes, Heather

25. Trying to park is extremely stressful, without the closure of future car parks. Working out of hours and finishing at 9pm in the evenings, it is dark during the winter months when I finish work. I am not confident enough on a bike to cycle in the dark, the University buses are not on my route home, and I don’t feel particularly safe on public transport at night.

At present the Ravelin Car Park spaces are often taken up by the parents of local grammar school children. They do not pay for their spaces as they only stay a while, but it means that when I try to park for my shift which starts at four o’clock, I am quite often unable to park and have to drive around until they leave. This can make me late for my shift, and I do actually pay for my parking permit. Closing more car parks will only exacerbate this.

I agree with Emily’s comment: ” I don’t think you realise how much this issue is affecting staff”.

26. I thought I’d just offer my view as a Southsea resident who walks to work, but witnesses on a daily basis the stress, anxiety and problems caused by the current parking issues at the University.

I know a lot of people in my building who come in early (and yes, I mean VERY early) to ensure they get a parking space. Once in the building, they feel obliged to start working, and I do wonder about the amount of unpaid work which the institution is benefiting from because of this.

There are also a lot of people who, for a whole variety of reasons from distance to route to caring responsibilities, rely on their cars. I witness these people arriving late, through no fault of their own, having spent up to 45 mins driving around Uni car parks in the desperate search for a space. In the end, knowing they’re going to be late, they end up paying an extortionate rate to park on the road. This inevitably has an impact in a building where our roles are front-facing and time is scheduled tightly. I’m not angry with these people, far from it, I’m totally sympathetic. I wish the Uni would wake up and realise that this isn’t a minor problem, it’s something which needs to be addressed NOW.

One simple solution to prevent the use of Ravelin car park by the Grammar School parents would be to install a swipe access gate on the entrance. This could be raised at the weekends if the car park is to be used as public parking. It would ensure that at those peak times when staff arriving need to park, the parents dropping their little darlings at school wouldn’t be able to hog the spots. Simple but very effective? I know it’s only a partial solution to one car park, but surely it would be a start?

27. My wife worked for the uni for 9 years. She got so fed up with the stress of trying to park she decide to leave. We are losing staff over this issue and from what I can see there is little by way of provision to relieve the problem. I’d be keen to learn what the university plans are to address this very emotive subject.

28. Clearly there are long term issues to resolve here. However, making some easy decisions straight away would at least show the University cares and is trying to help.

For example, an immediate ban on contractor vehicles and mini buses parking in staff bays would be a start. It’s an absolute disgrace that staff are not only subsidising the parking costs of commercial vehicles for the University, we then also have to pay further to park on the street at eye-watering rates.

It’s an easy decision to make and could be made straight away.

Some indication that the University is taking this seriously would also be welcome. It’s been going on for years and has never been seriously addressed.

29. I applaud staff for raising these issues which are all valid but I wonder who is actually reading this? These comments need to be brought to the attention of decision makers at the university otherwise we are all just talking to ourselves.

Are the comms team able to pass these comments on to directorate to be discussed?

The latest shenanigans in Milldam car park (apart from the enormous pot holes) is that temporary metal fencing has been stored straddling about 6 spaces. It has a sign on it saying ‘do not park here as these fences are unstable in bad weather’. So, in a campus that already has a lack of parking somebidy has decided to take out more spaces for seemingly random fencing that has nothing to do with the car park. It gives out a message that there is no regard for this issue at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments that if we are to expand our provision and estate we need to provide more parking and not take it away. I would welcome a new gym and swimming pool but not at the expense of a car park.

• I would like to reassure you that the Executive do read, take seriously and consider your comments and how to address the issues raised

• In view of the all staff email today regarding parking. I do hope that any review of the provision will take into account those members of staff that live on the island. Using park and ride is not convenient or practical for us and those that have other commitments straight after work need to bring their vehicles.

The University should not be reviewing provision based on whether or not use of a car is the only ‘realistic option’. The University may need to consider allocating more provision into ensuring that the staff experience is as much of an agenda as the student experience.

• I agree… I live in Portsmouth so COULD walk in (although it would take about 40 minutes which wouldn’t be ideal in bad weather), I visit family after work who don’t live in town and so need a car to get to them.

30. Staff might feel less aggrieved if we made the most of the parking we already have:

* Fix the lower deck in Melbourne place
    * Ban contractor vans and minibuses
    * Allow staff to use St Andrew’s car park when spaces are not pre-booked for visitors
    * Enforce with a little more vigour!

The overall issue must be addressed by the Master Plan, which should recognise that we simply need more parking. Even for those who live near, public transport is not alway an option. I’m in Southsea, but have often driven 20 miles before I get to work.

31. I’ve worked at UoP since 2007. In that time, I’ve seen my commute start time move farther and farther back just to avoid the hell caused by trying to find a parking space. I now arrive an hour before I’m on clock, and like Paula said, I start work immediately. Getting TOIL back rarely happens.

While I would like to do the bus route, getting to a bus stop where I live would necessitate 10 minutes of walking along a very busy road with no pedestrian provision to reach a bus stop (excellent way to start a winter’s morning – be a hood ornament!). I don’t fancy a 3.5-4 hour bus commute each day.

Due to work commitments, some days I have to arrive just after 6 to catch a train to London for training/meetings, or teach until very late (last Hover from the IoW). In both situations the Park & Ride is not an option as it’s not running.

As for minibuses for student organisations – why can’t they return the minibuses to St Andrews Court? Then Estates can see how much rubbish the students leave on the ground when the students return from their organised trips.

Seeing that Ravelin car park is going to be abolished struck fear in me: where would I park? How much extra is that going to cost? How much more stress am I going to incur? I don’t fancy having a stroke over parking issues, but that’s the kind of stress we’re all discussing.

Emily’s comment: ” I don’t think you realise how much this issue is affecting staff”.
    HEAR! HEAR!

32. Parking at the University has become an absolute nightmare. With the addition of the Park and Ride scheme now causing delays usually tailing back to the beginning of the M275, my commute has gone from not too bad to a completely stressful event. When you do finally reach Portsmouth after adding on another 10/15 mins to your journey from queuing on the M275, hoping there will still be a space is just the cherry on the parking cake.

I appreciate there is a lack of space for extending parking, but there are a few things that could be done, such as making the parking criteria more strict so that what little space we have available isn’t handed out to residents of Portsmouth who live 20 minutes away. I know of a few cases where people have had permits given to them even though they literally live next to the university. I am also aware of some people having permits even though they live a 10 minute walk away. The University could also consider changing the layouts of some of the car parks (i.e Milldam) so that more spaces could be added in that way if they were cleverly designed. An idea that springs to mind is to take the shrubbery away and add in spaces/Don’t put in too many maintenance bays that are frequently left empty. There are also legacy spaces in car parks like Anglesea, that after the data centre was moved in there, they just don’t really work with the new layout. Maybe the university could also think about if there are any ways of building multi storey car parks on the land they already have. I’m also sure if there was a car park a bit further out but still within walking distance, I’m sure staff would be happy as long as they could park no matter what time they arrive.

33. As well as staff, the University needs to consider the local community, the loss of even more parking spaces is going to cause stress, angst and a great deal of resentment with the residents that live near the University, because as staff are displaced from University car parks they will when they can park on side roads to avoid paying for metered parking, this will negatively impact the local community, both the residents and businesses and their visitors and customers. Displaced staff will search out and take what little on road parking there is, this will soon become an issue which I am sure the residents etc will make known to the council (PCC) and the local press.

As for the alternative of using public transport I travel just under 40 miles (round trip) each day and this takes on average 70-90 minutes a day, if I was to use public transport my commute would increase to at least 180 minutes a day i.e. double. It would also be impractical and inflexible as the frequency of the train is hourly….. in no way does this aid a healthy work/life balance.

Cars displaced from Ravelin etc cannot be absorbed into the surrounding area, so if the spaces are not replaced when this area is redeveloped, as well as there being a backlash from local residents as they lose their on road parking outside their homes there could well be safety issues for pedestrians as desperate drivers late for work frantically hunt down ever decreasing parking spaces in the small side roads around the University. So it would be good to know if parking for staff, students, visitors, contractors, estates vehicles etc is one of the requirements stated and being considered in the Estates Master plan and if so what priority on campus parking has been given? Thank you.

34. agree with all of this.

whilst we’re ranting…….

I’d like some transparency on the ‘local’ parking arrangments. For example, there are 3 or 4 spaces behind Hampshire Terrace that aren’t for UoP use but this is only enforced by a paper sign in the window.

35. Please be aware a new car parking update has been posted.

36. Just a thought, but could some kind of system/database be introduced for people that are willing to car share – I know that it will not suit a lot of staff, but there could actually be people closer to your home that could share a journey with you that you are not aware of.

• Hi Sue,

This is a brilliant idea! I know a few people who live close to eachother but drive in separately! What a waste of time, spaces and fuel!

37. I agree completely with many of the comments here. I have to pay to park at least once a week.If I arrive after 845 in the morning it is impossible to find a space.
    I would be very interested to know the following information:
    1 the number of standard spaces that the Uni has available.
    2 the number of current valid parking permits.
    I have seen vehicles parked in Mildam that if they are not in a ‘valid’ bay are given tickets from the Council. It is worth noting that they were not a hazard and that the bay lines are barely visible.
    It seems to me that this is a win win for the Council. We get given a permit, but there are no spaces, so we either pay the Council to park, or they give out parking tickets!
    I feel I should add that I have also seen some very irresponsible parking. I do not in any way condone this, but can see why some people may be tempted, and they then cause a hazard to the rest of us.

38. The solution to all this is very simple.

Multistorey purpose-built carpark in Mildam.

Spend some money once, use it with a meter for weekends and create revenue and solve this once and for all for everybody.

39. Parking is a cause of stress to everyone in my office who drives in. I would love to get the train but I simply cant afford the prices or rely on them. I get in 45 minutes early to ensure I get a space. and even then the car park is getting full! I cant understand why students are given permits to be able to park in the staff car parks. This just adds to the already bad problem.

40. Again I agree with all the comments on here, I do live in Eastney but due to school run duties on the other side of Portsmouth I do need to drive in as my working day is based solely around school drop and pick up times.
    The other gripe not mentioned is in the smaller car parks there’s a lot of bigger cars who take up 2 spaces so they don’t catch their doors on the concrete bollards or have others knocking there car. I understand no one wants their car damaged but I think this should also fall under a breach of ‘parking in the marked bays’. having recently got a ticket for parking in an unmarked bay on the grass verge in by Ravelin House along with 6 other cars this seems unfair when everyone is aware how dire the parking situation is.

• I got a ticket for parking there to – I think a lot of us did. PCC is making a lot of money out of people who just want to be able to come to work and do their job. That space is a prime example of a place that could be turned into parking bays. It’s a muddy verge and parking there isn’t obstructing anything or anybody but the University would rather penalise it’s staff, then actually help them.

• +1 for ticketed for parking on the verge. Appealed it on the grounds of inconsistency but was rejected.

• I also got a ticket for parking under the trees at Ravlin House and when I appealed (also on the grounds of inconsistency) it was rejected. I mentioned that parking had been taking place here for a long time, but I was informed that there were no marked bays and I needed to contact the University to complain about this. The inconsistency of ticketing by the council workers was just brushed away -” we cannot comment…”

41. I don’t drive at all, but can understand the strength of feeling over parking issues- a park and ride scheme would be a sensible option- as others have suggested but Portsmouth suffers from a lack of space so a new area would be difficult to find- liaising with PCC over the current park and ride or somehow utilising parking areas already in use around the town centre (Cascades/Gunwharf/Tricorn site).

42. I am a ‘lucky’ member of staff who doesn’t have to worry about parking every day as I can travel by ferry and walk from there – however, there are days when my role requires me to go on to meetings from work, so I need to drive in on those days (unless I take out an extra 90-120mins of the working day to get back over to Gosport and drive out from there to my meeting – not an economical use of my time) – I echo the comments on here regards accessing any Uni parking spaces after 8.30am (which when I drive around is the very earliest I could get here after dropping my daughter off at school at 7.30am!)
    Any solution to parking would be extremely welcome – especially the Park n Ride!

43. Not only parking is an issue, so is traffic congestion. A park and ride facility from the edge of the island would address both issues. As would an additional north-south staff/student bus service. Little sympathy for people driving in from Southsea though, 1 mile = 20 minute walk. Being a confident cyclist I am fine cycling into work, but I also know that cycling through North End or Fratton is not pleasant. Could the university strike a deal with PCC, we provide P&R and extra free staff bus to reduce congestion and they improve safe(r) cycle routes?

I have to say I feel privileged for not owning/needing/wanting a car, reading about the stress that parking brings, at home and at work.

44. I wanted to say it was pleasing to get the email today from Fiona Bell addressing our concerns. I really appreciate it, and am glad that our views are seen. I was concerned that our comments were not in a visible place for the appropriate colleagues to respond.

I look forward to taking part in the travel survey. Thanks again.

45. As parking has always been a contentious issue with University staff, I was surprised that we were only made aware of the possibility of reductions to the size of the Ravelin car park by a sentence in the staff email concerning the Estates Masterplan which read ‘The preferred site for the new sports centre is currently the Ravelin car park site’. This came as a shock to everyone I spoke to, as there had been no previous indications that we were losing more parking space.

46. I have worked at the University for 25 years and this is the worse car parking has ever been. Why have so many student car parking permits been issued? why are we still allowing student parking? There are many other City universities that don’t. I have watched students park in disabled bays – they aren’t disabled, some of them have student parking permits, some don’t. The car park’s aren’t properly monitored, so not only do students take advantage, so do local residents. People are parking on pavements (with no regard to disabled staff/students), in front of fire doors and on yellow lines, but they are not being penalized, so continue to do that. I agree with comments that we should be working with PCC to make use of the under used Park and Ride Scheme – not just for staff, but for students. It should be ‘sold’ as their first option. This year, there is no parking near the Richmond Building for visitors, the whole area is completely ‘stuffed’ for want of a better word. Myself and others have sent numerous emails/pictures of bad parking (blocking entrances, other cars etc) to the Estates office…I have never had a reply.

47. I have started travelling in from Havant by train whenever possible. However, I need to bring my car in on days when I have a meeting with collaborators in the region – few if any are based where public transport would be a viable use of my time. Typically these meetings are for 1-3 hours. After the meeting, I know it’s not worth coming back to the University because I know I won’t find anywhere to park.

The University’s car parking policy is incompatible with its strategy to increase the amount of collaborative work with local business/industry/public sector.

48. Eldon car park is often used by contractors working close by ‘not UOP sites’ but local building works, no permits visible but also no warden around to give a ticket,
    the local PDSA centre also attracts people who use Eldon car park, again no permits, as no warden seem to control the parking it’s a free for all. Twice in the last two years I have had extensive damage to my car whilst being parked in Eldon car park causing thousands of pounds of damage but the CCTV is not working so no chance to see who caused the damage.

49. Has anyone ever wondered if UoP employees would swamp the M275 Park and Ride facility during the work week? I can see PCC officials blanching at the idea of giving UoP drastically reduced P&R fees….

50. I travel from Cosham, and as someone who does struggle with parking I totally understand the frustrations. And I agree, more spaces would be lovely, and yes there should be more policing of people that shouldn’t use our carparks.

But I think it would be good to remember that workplaces don’t have to provide parking for staff. I have a number of friends and family who have to pay council day rates to park their cars for work. So I think we should be grateful that the university provide parking at all, and at such a cheap rate. In the eyes of my friends and family they see my cheap parking permit as a perk. So because the permits are so cheap, as much as I don’t wish to pay extra to park on the road I will if I need to, and this still works out cheaper than a lot of my friends and family who pay daily to park their cars for work.

I also think it would be good to remember that even people that live in Portsmouth/Southsea may have other demands on them that mean their cars are needed with them at work. Not everyones school run is local, medical appointments are not always local, people caring for others may need to leave at short notice. The permits are a perk and we shouldn’t discriminate about who is entitled to one. It’s a first come, first serve basis and we all know this when we take our job and apply for the permit.

• I agree that parking permits are a perk however I think the University is a little different to most employers as we’re the biggest employer in the city and so wouldn’t be too popular with local residents if we started flooding the streets with our cars. They are very cheap though… I would rather pay a bit more and have them maintained a little better… the potholes in Milldam are a disgrace! Someone is going to do some serious damage to their car at some point!

• Also the current system is grossly unfair. If you can arrive early for work then you get a space, if you can’t because you have caring responsibilities or work part time, then you don’t. Yet we all pay for a parking permit.

• I wouldn’t quite say it was grossly unfair. It’s a first come, first serve basis. I don’t see how you can have it any other way. I can’t always get to work early, so yes I miss out on a space. We do all pay, but it’s relative to your salary, part time or otherwise. You can’t charge people less money if they don’t start work early. How would you apply that to all the different working hours across the university? And what would that mean, if you are charged less you can’t park until after a certain time? If the cheaper paying permits could park anytime of the day that would be unfair to the full paying permit staff. And you can’t reserve spaces for people that arrive late. You would have to reserve spaces for every single reason people might arrive later, i.e. working hours, school runs, medial appointments, people caring for others that might be elderly, disabled or sick. I just don’t see how you can manage the parking any other way as to not discriminate against different reasons people arrive later than others. And the parking permits are so cheap I find it hard to see how people can moan so much. I for one am grateful for my permit regardless if I struggle for a space or not.

• There are other ways of allocating parking than a first come, first serve basis. For example, Scottish and Southern Energy use a rotational parking scheme at all their sites, where staff can only park 4 days a week. On a designated day (based on surname) they can’t use the car park and must make alternative arrangements, preferably public transport. This kind of scheme is endorsed by TravelGreen Easit as they reduce the numbers of car journeys and reduces congestion . With a fifth less cars per day there would be much more chance of getting a space and as you would know which day you couldn’t park you would be able to plan ahead. I’m not saying this is what we should do but it would impact all staff equally and in my opinion be a fairer system. It also shows there are other options.

• Those who see your cheap car parking as a perk, in an equivalent job to you, are probably paid much more than you would be saving in parking. 🙂

Plus you are also paying for parking on the days you cannot park anyway!

51. I don’t drive, so I’m not directly affected by car parking, but my office overlooks Milldam car park and I’m struck by the number of times customers for the register office use the university car park (especially on Fridays). I don’t know the full extent of this, but it can’t be helping the situation (though it does, on occasion, provide some very entertaining family fights. The best one was when someone turned up to the wedding who clearly wasn’t welcome, so they loudly hashed it out a couple of floors beneath my office window). Does Milldam need a weekday ticket barrier?

52. As well as the issues with capacity, as others have remarked, the general state of maintenance of what parking facilities we do have is totally unacceptable. In Milldam, the lines have almost disappeared and the number of large potholes there means that evasive action needs to be taken when driving, which is a potential hazard for pedestrians. I wonder if a few claims for damaged cars caused by potholes might focus people’s minds a bit!

53. Thank you for the parking update which shows that this is being taken on board at decision-making level. I agree that the University gets a lot of extra working hours out of this issue – it certainly has had many extra hours out of me over all the years I have worked here!
    I would just like to add my agreement to the person who said that this issue contributes to inequality of opportunity for those with caring responsibilities. If I had been able to leave for work after the school run and have a guaranteed parking space I would for several years now have been in a position to work less part time and therefore to be considered eligible for management positions that I am qualified for.
    I very much like the idea of a multi-storey car park within walking distance which would guarantee a parking space whatever time you arrived. Perhaps this can be achieved through negotiation with local car parks for cars with university permits to park free, as suggested by someone else – a subsidy doesn’t go far enough when we’re already paying for our permits. And this could be combined with a system reserving nearer spaces for those with genuine need.

54. Well, this has all opened up a can of worms, hasn’t it. The overwhelming message here is that we can’t afford to have any more car parking space viewed as an easy target to plonk another new building on. In the meantime, the only way to improve the situation in the short–term is to improve enforcement and gradually deter the students and others who shouldn’t be using the car parks.

However, I don’t see how that can happen without the university re-establishing control over the enforcement of its own car parks and putting quite a bit more resource into it. Giving that control away to Portsmouth City Council was never a good idea, and obviously isn’t working as a sufficiently effective deterrent.

• Couldn’t agree more. PCC’s ‘administering’ of the Car Parks is totally pointless.

Lets have swipe barriers on all car parks.

55. Following the recent email from Fiona and I about car parking, we are already getting a lot more comments, so many thanks for your interest. There are some really constructive suggestions in the email chain.

Again, we wanted to reassure everyone that we are reading the suggestions and will continue to do so. We really want to give colleagues feedback and will put a considered response together as soon as possible.

• Its great that the university is finally trying to get a handle on this issue. The University of York had what appeared to have a good flexi/family friendly parking arrangements which might be useful at UoP. Might be worth chatting to a few other university estates departments….

56. The bike storage facility behind Burnaby Terrace could be relocated to free up a few parking spaces. There’s areas around Dennis Sciama Building, Buckingham, etc that look suitable for that.

57. Again – another parent with responsibilities for getting my kids to school/nursery.

I’ve ended up parking up near Lidl after the school run and getting the University bus on Wednesdays which gets me into work much quicker as I don’t have to spend hours driving round in a vain hope of parking (along with many others)- but this isn’t possible when I have to do nursery and school pick-ups/drop-offs Thursday/Friday.

Having more parking might actually be greener – as the amount of emissions released by all the people searching and searching at slow speeds for parking in the morning must be worse than just providing extra spaces.

I’m willing to try and use alternative methods (hence using my own form of ‘park and ride!’) but am not confident enough to cycle in (and couldn’t with two children to ferry about) the uni bus doesn’t go near to nursery/school. So I am left with no alternative but to try and get parking. As an admin person on a 0.5 contract spending nearly £10 a week on parking isn’t really on… on top of paying for uni parking.

I also forgot to move my car from a PCC parking bay twice in one month meaning I got over £100 worth of parking fines! My own fault admittedly – but I wouldn’t have needed to remember to move it if I had been in a Uni space in the first place!

58. Can the Estates Masterplan include underground parking?

Surely this is a viable solution. It may come at a financial cost, but a cost which will be returned in the long term in relation to satisfied and happy staff.

• I agree with this suggestion wholeheartedly, surely all new buildings should have underground parking automatically included into the design, especially when the new building has taken away previous parking spaces.

59. I posted this in response to another comment above but wanted to make sure it wasn’t missed.

There are other ways of allocating parking than a first come, first serve basis. For example, Scottish and Southern Energy use a rotational parking scheme at all their sites, where staff can only park 4 days a week. On a designated day (based on surname) they can’t use the car park and must make alternative arrangements, preferably public transport. This kind of scheme is endorsed by TravelGreen Easit as they reduce the numbers of car journeys and reduces congestion . With a fifth less cars per day there would be much more chance of getting a space and as you would know which day you couldn’t park you would be able to plan ahead. I’m not saying this is what we should do but it would impact all staff equally and in my opinion be a fairer system. It also shows there are other options.

• Even better – and simpler, why doesn’t the University shake off its natural aversion to staff working from home?

There are a large number of departments that could accommodate staff working one day a week at home. Same effect – no need for complicated admin overheads and checking etc.

Clearly this is more appropriate to some than others but it wouldn’t take much to make a difference.

• here here.

In our dept. we are allowed to work from home but only in exceptional circumstances (such as a looming deadline). Even then you’re made to feel as the manager is doing you a favour!!!!

The majority of Uni systems can be easily accessed from home these days.

• That’s much better because simply saying ‘you can’t park at your work 1 day a week’ isn’t going to help people who need their cars. Where are they going to go that 1 day per week?

• I don’t want to ‘not use my car one day a week’ but if there isn’t going to be an increase in spaces then we have to make some hard decisions. I need my car, I live outside the city and look after a disabled parent. Currently I am parking 2 or 3 times a week on the road because I can’t arrive early for work.

On the day that you can’t park you can still drive your car, you’ll just have to park it on the road or use the park and ride . At least it would only be once a week and it might even encourage some staff to use public transport or walk/bike to work. It would be a fairer system but would require everyone to make a sacrifice.

As I said, I not saying that this is what we should due, but it’s good to try to think of possible alternatives to the current situation.

• Couldn’t agree more. I currently work from home on a Wednesday and am much happier – not least because I don’t have to suffer the stress of commuting and parking one day per week. What’s more, I feel I am more productive at home than in the office!

60. Last June, without any notice, three permanent staff parking spots were removed from the Nuffield car park (c.50 capacity), perhaps one of the most congested car parks on campus. The space thus created has been designated – permanently – for ‘Ambulance’ use. Apparently this is a University training vehicle.

Users of the car park find this rather puzzling. In the ensuing 10 months we have seen an ambulance parked in the space possibly four times; yet three spaces were sacrificed permanently for this.

This comes on top of the loss last year of three Nuffield places to create two ‘Disabled’ spaces; and the designation of a general space for ‘UEB’. Two years ago we had a space removed and allocated for ‘Science Faculty’ use only. None of these spaces is at all well used. And it is frustrating for staff to find that empty bays are both tolerated and are being expanded when pressures on staff parking are running high.

If spaces were a free employer benefit then perhaps there would be no need to consult or explain. But it would be generally helpful if some discussions with users could provide context to decisions on the ground.

61. Does the Uni have an arrangement with the Grammar School?
    Every morning and afternoon parents use valuable spaces in Ravelin Park dedicated for Uni staff. They seem to have the attitude that they are entitled to do this and regard this as their personal parking spaces to drop off and collect their offspring. They have no Uni car park permits. Why aren’t the parking officers telling them to ‘go away’?
    What really annoys me is that they use the disabled spaces even though they are clearly not disabled.
    It is also very hazardous when entering this carpark down the slope when you encounter a bunch 5 year olds running all over the place.

• Today coming into work, during the school holidays there are parking spaces galore and it was a breeze on the roads getting here. This goes to show what contributes to a lot of traffic problems, bring back the school bus is what I say.

• Totally agree!! At some point the little snowflakes will have to join the world!

• No arrangement exists between the university and PGS – although a lot of PGS parents work at the uni so they may be parking legally. The school does regularly remind parents not to park in the university car parks for drop-offs and pick-ups. All this needs is a bit of strategically timed policing and some on-the-spot fines to dissuade parents.

62. When was the last time the actual layout of the car parks was run through a computer program to see if we are using the land footprint most effectively? As a regular user of the Milldam car park I would bet my parking permit that with a better design a few more spaces could be created.

• I was thinking the exact same thing. Im sure we don’t make good use of the space we have. I think the bike sheds at the rear and front of Anglesea could also be relocated to a pedestrianized area of the university to make space for more cars.

• I like this idea. Anything that will help us get the most effective use of the space would be great. Parking is a perk and I don’t expect or think it’s possible to have guaranteed parking for all. What I do expect though is to have car parking spaces that are fit for purpose and not have spaces taken away from us here and there with fencing, contractor parking, pot holes, minibuses etc. I’ve noticed that the pot holes in Milldam have finally been filled which is good news. It has taken an unacceptable amount of time though. Someone also commented about charging a bit more for parking and having that revenue dedicated to car park maintenance. I would support that also.

• Absolutely Jay – the metal fencing sections that are just propped against the proper fence in Milldam are a menace. I’m not convinced the pothole filling that we waiting years for will last for any length of time – unless they put Tarmac over the top of the shingle infill.