Dyslexia awareness

Dyslexia is a Greek word meaning ‘difficulty with words’.occupational-health-tree-300x180

Did you know that approximately 10 per cent of the British population are dyslexic?

Dyslexia occurs independently of intelligence and is a specific learning difficulty in relation to information processing. People with dyslexia may have difficulty processing and remembering information that they see and hear.  This can affect learning and the acquisition of literacy skills.

Dyslexic people often have strong visual, creative and problem-solving skills and are prominent among entrepreneurs, inventors, architects, engineers and in the arts and entertainment world.

How it feels to be dyslexic

‘I see things from a different perspective’

‘When I am reading, occasionally a passage will get jumbled up, but when it happens I have to read and re-read the passage over again’

‘I know what I want to say, but I can never find the right words’

‘It’s like my computer crashing with too much information’

‘In formal situations, although I know what I want to say, I struggle, lose focus and then my mind goes blank and I panic.’

Concerned about dyslexia?

If you are concerned that you may be dyslexic and this is having an impact on your work, impeding your career development or you are struggling with planning or having difficulty communicating with colleagues, it may be helpful for you to access this link and complete the adult checklist.  This won’t provide enough detailed information for a diagnostic assessment, but can be useful and a pointer towards future assessment needs.  It contains questions that are predictive of dyslexia.

There are lots of successful strategies which can support you and will limit the impact of dyslexia.

If you have concerns, please ask your line manager for a referral to Occupational Health for further advice and guidance.

Helpful links

British Dyslexia Association

Hampshire Dyslexia Association (General enquiries:  023 8033 3345, Email: help@hantsda.org.uk)

1 comment on this postSubmit yours
  1. Academic Staff who are dyslexic (or may be) can gain peer support by joining the DAN (Dyslexic Academic Network) mailing list — go to http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/DAN and follow the “subscribe” link — many Academic Disciplines, many Universities.