New students – protect yourself against meningitis

Protect yourself against meningitis AND septicaemia

The NHS has launched a campaign to encourage young people of university age to be vaccinated against meningococcal disease, or MenW, a rare but life-threatening disease caused by meningococcal bacteria. Young adults are especially at risk.

Meningitis information leaflet

Meningococcal bacteria can cause meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain) and septicaemia (blood poisoning). Both diseases are very serious and can kill, especially if not diagnosed early. Older teenagers and young adults are more at risk of getting meningitis and septicaemia from MenW.

You may have had the MenC and MenB vaccinations when you were younger but since 2009, there has been a large increase in MenW disease in England, resulting in several deaths among infants and teenagers. You are unlikely to have had the MenW vaccination.  

The NHS advise you should obtain the vaccination before you start university or soon after. Even if you have already had a MenC vaccine you should have the MenW vaccine. All age groups are being affected but teenagers and young adults have a higher risk of meningococcal disease. 

New university students are at particularly high risk in the first weeks of term when they will come into contact with many new people of a similar age. You should get vaccinated straight away – ideally in your first week of term – don’t leave it until later.

If you are starting university in 2015, go to your GP to get the vaccination before you go but if you miss out you should register with a GP in Portsmouth and get the vaccination here.

You are in a high risk group, so make sure you don’t miss out on your vaccination.

Read the leaflet for more information

2 total comments on this postSubmit yours
  1. I have gone back to university and am in my second year. I could not get an appointment before I came went back for the vaccination. My doctor is in Chelmsford and I am not registered with one in Portsmouth. Can I obtain the jab any other way in Portsmouth. Thank you.